The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Men in the age of feminism > Comments

Men in the age of feminism : Comments

By Peter West, published 22/10/2010

Men can never be feminists - millions have tried and nobody did better than C+.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 39
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. All
"I have never known a feminist to refuse money from a man" - meaning what, Vanna? That a feminist shouldn't have a male employer, inherit money from a man, accept a gift from a man, a lottery or racetrack win from a man? What has that to do with feminism, or don't you understand the term?

One of the things I find disturbing about some feminist friends is their objectifying of men - not excessively, but their favourite League players are selected on appearance not performance, for example. I think it is an attempt to level the playing field in the wrong way, matching men pin-up for pin-up. Sadly the trend to objectify and sexualise everyone, including children, is the way society has gone.
Posted by Candide, Friday, 22 October 2010 10:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GAJ "Statistics of shared home responsibilities indicate that working women still bear the great burden of the chores"

You might want to have a look into what's included and excluded in those studies. Whilst I get the impression that there is a degree of truth there appears to be significant distortion of the difference by what's included and excluded.

The ones I've seen the detail on tend to exclude traditional male roles around the home and focus on traditional female roles.

They also struggle trying to deal with necessary vs elective work. I enjoy working in the garden and value the results so spend far more time at it than is strictly necessary, others spend far more time on aspects of housework than is necessary.

Be cautious of studies commissioned by people with a vested interest in perpetuating perceptions of inequality, sometimes it exists, at other times there is much more to the issue than helps vested interests.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 22 October 2010 11:52:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robert wrote re. studies, "there appears to be significant distortion" and "The ones I've seen the detail on tend to exclude traditional male roles around the home and focus on traditional female roles".

Robert, would you please post links to these 'distorted' studies, so readers can see for themselves.
Posted by samsung, Friday, 22 October 2010 12:10:25 PM
Candide,
"meaning what, Vanna"

Wel, when just about every posible negative, denigrating remark has been made by feminists about the male gender, then one would expect that feminists should only take money from women.

But I have never known a feminist to refuse to take money from a man.

So, money from men good...Men bad.

Interestingly, so much of the denigration of the male gender has been lead by university feminists, or members of the press who were trained in universities.
Posted by vanna, Friday, 22 October 2010 12:39:12 PM
Vanna

"I have never known a feminist to refuse money from a man"

Mate, you are one confused little poppit - you are confusing 'hooker' with 'feminist.' Hookers are in a profession, like strippers or lap-dancers, they perform and men give them money.

Maybe its time you got yourself a real girlfriend - real women can take of themselves, like working as, say, Prime Ministers, Doctors, Architects, Surgeons, Scientists - they may be paid by men or women depending of the gender of their boss.

Hope this helps.
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Friday, 22 October 2010 1:33:35 PM
This is a minefield but the author has some excellent points.
I watched 2 neighbours lose their house to a woman based on the 50:50 principle. She kept pumping out kids and swapping men, gathering assets as she went. The law seemed quite happy to reward her for this.
In school I was lucky enough to be in the HSC era where science taught as science, maths as maths. The modern curriculum was designed to "correct" the "male centric" old curriculum which was hard for most girls. Now we have fallen behind most of Asia in maths and science because the muppets who changed the curriculum were focussed on gender, not the subject and it's nature. Guess what: most engineers are still male not because the career is sexist, but because most women have no interest, no passion, and no ability in engineering disciplines.
They introduced the Bogan Bonus to try and get my generation to breed again. Great, wombs for sale! Of the 4 married men I know who I grew up with, 3 have lost their houses due to divorce instigated by the women. (In all cases there was either another man involved, or a shift "back home"...no abuse). I've heard similar stories from others about my age (40ish).
Our society almost encourages women to find fault with their man, screw them financially then repeat.
The gender wars will always be with us, but when financial incentives are put in place to split, it is no surprise a lot of women go for it.
BTW. Happily de facto for 14 years.
Posted by Ozandy, Friday, 22 October 2010 1:58:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 39
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy