The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gutless politicians don’t speak for me on ethics > Comments

Gutless politicians don’t speak for me on ethics : Comments

By Jason Cohn, published 15/10/2010

Why are some politicians so adamant that they know best when it comes to topics like euthanasia?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I am a little surprised to see comments coming dangerously close to suggesting that religious people should not be allowed to hold office in a discussion that is, essentially, about freedom of choice and diversity of belief and opinion.

For the record, I am a Catholic and opposed to euthanasia. I believe it is immoral. That's an easy stance for me to take, however, as someone who is not terminally ill, elderly or living my life in constant pain and fear of an inevitable death that won't come quickly enough. I'd like to think that, when faced with any of these circumstances, I would keep plodding until my time comes. In reality, I can't be so sure. For me, this is purely hypothetical.

Despite my beliefs, I am far from arrogant enough to expect others to follow my system of morality simply because I do. In this matter, I think freedom of choice is appropriate. If others believe that euthanasia is acceptable, justifiable and morally appropriate, then so be it. Who am I, who is a religious authority and who is the state to tell them what they can or can't do with their own lives? Why prevent somebody who can help to end their pain from doing so, if both parties are willing? I am happy to accept the legalisation of euthanasia as a service that I will hopefully be strong enough never to use.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 16 October 2010 1:24:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't we call it what it is - suicide ? Yes, legalise it, and put far more into counselling services. Let's get that one out of the way: if you want to do it, do it, and get off the page.

Or is there more to that question ? Are we talking about the involvement of other parties in someone's death ? Are there categories of people who might be euthanased, hopefully with their consent, and therefore would their deaths constitute a form of suicide ? If so, then real-life situations may be far more problematic.

Then, perhaps inadvertently, various proponents of euthanasia let the cat out of the bag by alluding to people in great pain, people in comas, people who are incontinent, people who have reached a certain age, and/or people who have had, or are currently living, lives of poor quality.

So where do we draw the line ? Where is YOUR line ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 16 October 2010 8:35:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It keeps the Greens in the news when all is quiet on the whale front.

Recently in the WA upper house a Greens initiated conscience vote on voluntary euthanasia failed 24-11.

Heaps easier than working up some integrated policy on aged care. Palliative care? No, not a flicker of interest to be seen, must be hard work.

All care and no responsibility as per usual. It is obviously too much to expect that the rump of Greens Senators would stop playing "Look at moi" (thanks to Kath & Kim) politics and put some of that hard-earned taxes being invested in their salaries, benefits and travel into something meaningful for the nation. Something productive where they have actually done the hard yards in research and policy development.

Where the major parties are always the centre of attention the policies of the Greens do escape scrutiny in the parliament and by the media.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 16 October 2010 10:04:22 AM
I think its great to see a young person thinking. A young person with a goal.

My life is 3/4 thru and I have only just begun to search for what it is I am meant to do, or be, in life.

We need government to make decisions - you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people, all of the time.

Jason will grow up, but lets hope he does not become jaded and apathetic about trying to change the world. We need more young "thinkers" - not more young drunken yobboes society appears to idealise (read footballers here).

Our society will never be perfect (whatever you perceive that to be) - all we can do is strive for a better more meaningful life for future generations.

"Your rights as an individual should not outweigh the responsibility you have towards your fellow man."
Posted by searching, Sunday, 17 October 2010 10:45:16 AM
Dear Jason,
If you are sincere, seek the truth boldly. Most believe in random chance (evolution) as taught in our education system. I believe in intelligent design (creation) as rubbished by our intelligencia.
The definition of science that I believe is the ability to repeat an idea with the same outcome not the idea that if you can think it it is truth. True science is repeatable not imposing your will on others. God is good. With him all things are possible. Seek the possibility in life, aim for for the stars and you will go far. I leave you with these words God gave to Joshua as he led the people into the promised land "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave nor forsake you. Be strong and very courageous".
Posted by Richie 10, Monday, 18 October 2010 2:45:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy