The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gutless politicians don’t speak for me on ethics > Comments

Gutless politicians don’t speak for me on ethics : Comments

By Jason Cohn, published 15/10/2010

Why are some politicians so adamant that they know best when it comes to topics like euthanasia?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The author is seemingly convinced by the apparently logical arguments of Singer and Nitschke as if their logic is somehow without the influence of value systems. He is concerned about religion influencing politicians judgment but unconcerned about the influence of atheism. It too is a belief system.

Nitschke once proposed a suicide kit for the supermarket. He is happy to help healthy pain free people commit suicide and did so in 2009.
Remember, many people who wished they were dead were glad to live through these times. Such people are not in a clear state of mind and can make poor decisions. Yet Nitschke does not care. He'll send anyone off. Just say the word.

Singer believes sex with animals is OK as long as they both like it! What an unbelievably stupid person.

Be careful who you hold up as heroes, particularly in such critical issues.
Posted by Atman, Friday, 15 October 2010 9:17:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"My grandma is nearing the end and she may want to go her own way. Will the government force her to keep on breathing until her tired heart finally gives up?"

Has it crossed your mind to ask her what she thinks about all of this? You did quote others but not her and there is enough research already showing that the medical profession doesn't know much about the old either.

http://www.ciap.health.nsw.gov.au/hospolic/stvincents/1993/a06.html

http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/elderly/depression-in-elderly/menu-id-68/

However it is fair to assume that 'granny' (nice to be slotted into a category so easily!) if treated decently will continue to contribute (that surprise you?) to the family and community of which she is part; will cost less (if that is a bother) through less health care costs if allowed and supported to live independently in her own house; and, may even wish to end her days among her treasured things in her house of the past whatever years, while being in charge of her health and body to the end and with self-administered pain control.

It seems that everyone knows best what is 'needed' for seniors and there are plenty of experts suddenly about, but none is giving a fig's for the broken aged care system. Now that should ring some alarm bells that discrimination is present and active.

One would have thought that those who are now so enthusiastic for the elderly to access their 'right' to euthanasia, would also be lobbying for aged care to be improved and (goodness gracious the next one will come as a surprise) - they might even be demanding that research be done urgently into euthanasia and the aged. No such research has been done for the rather unique Australian context. Who knows, then someone might even get around to involving seniors in the 'consultations' too.

Interesting though how the young do not envisage euthanasia as ever being relevant to them and their friends and sometime soon, it only takes a moment's lack of concentration in a car, or more likely, misadventure with recreational drugs.

Seniors desperately need a champion, a Commissioner for the Aged.
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 15 October 2010 9:19:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Atman, of course politicians are heavily swayed by religions. Half of our pollies believe in 'sky fairies' and they're actually running the country? How much money do the likes of the Exclusive Brethren pump into the Liberal coffers?

As for atheism being a belief system, maybe it is for some, but I think you'll find that most people who don't believe in god are simply intelligent and well adjusted people who don't really think about god at all. It's not like they go to an atheist church or walk around all day muttering prayers to their 'non-god' entity.

And Cornflower, I know you have the best interests of "granny" at heart, but euthanasia isn't about bumping off just anyone. Granny will have the final say in that if she's of sound mind, but many older people are no longer of sound mind and so they'll continue to be kept in care and given the best quality of life that can be obtained in the currently badly under-funded and under-staffed facilities.

I've already decided that a facility isn't for me and have made plans to exit this beautiful world while I still have a fondness for it. That's my decision and I'll do it at a time appropriate to me.
Posted by Aime, Friday, 15 October 2010 9:46:17 AM
Yes, it's scary that someone can not only adopt an irrational position but actually proclaim it proudly in public, and still be elected to an office of power and responsibility. But hang in there -- things are slowly changing.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 15 October 2010 1:10:11 PM
One day I hope you grow up a little Jason and realize how incredibly stupid the denial of your Creator is. You obviously have not thought what an absolute joke the big bang theory is. You need to twist many many logical observations to come up with such rubbish. You seem very indoctrinated with your journalist education. If you are looking to climb the ladder quickly I am sure the ABC would love you to push their dogmas.
Posted by runner, Friday, 15 October 2010 11:50:46 PM
Jason may need a real life experience where his life is on the line and someone else will be making decisions for him when it does not matter what age he will be to possibly further his own life understanding families or just survival to further contribute something anything.Is Jason really listening to his grand mother or talked to her about his stance, or in fact any others older than the halfway mark at 50, he might appreciate life more. Maybe gran wants to talk to Jason more too, but rarely sees him?
Posted by Dallas, Saturday, 16 October 2010 12:30:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy