The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A remarkable thing happened on the way to the mining tax … > Comments

A remarkable thing happened on the way to the mining tax … : Comments

By Gavin Mooney, published 6/10/2010

The government consultations on the revised Mineral Resource Rent Tax are strictly 'off-limits' to the general public.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I gather we're supposed to be outraged about something here, but sorry, I can't see it myself.
Posted by Mark Duffett, Wednesday, 6 October 2010 9:00:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Um, yes government policy is largely determined by big business...this surprises you?
Are you also surprised that "issues" seem to simultaneously become relevant across the Western world?
And lastly, shouldn't the media be interested in the public interest ahead of corporate/political gains?
Ah to be naive and / or ignorant again. I too could believe that democracy is the primary driver of decisions!
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 7 October 2010 9:20:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Obviously, like a good football umpire, Mark Duffer is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
He states, "... sorry, I can't see it myself", as to understanding the point of the article.
Well, if I can see the point as to accountability and openness involving taxpayers money and thePeoples interest in a civil society, against the new neolib system that dominates this country thru mechanisms like ppps, Commercial in confidence and checks on FOI, how is it, my darling, that you can't?
You sound a bit like the bank robber not wanting attention while he buries his loot.
But what's wrong with Open Government in a democracy, unless you have something to hide?
Posted by paul walter, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 5:18:39 AM
@paul walter, if the author is a legitimate stakeholder then so are you, me and 22 million other people. It's perfectly reasonable to draw the line somewhere. He is clearly not a stakeholder as that word is generally understood, except in the broadest possible terms. It seems completely unremarkable to me that if you levy a tax on a sector, you're not going to want to waste everybody's time consulting with parties not directly involved in that sector.
Posted by Mark Duffett, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 8:08:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy