The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A PM’s post mortem and bribery > Comments

A PM’s post mortem and bribery : Comments

By Don Allan, published 30/9/2010

Julia Gillard’s new ministry could be called a ministry of the bribed.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I don't think - I am sure that there is not one person in political parties who is competent in intelligence nor in integrity, to be trusted in the process of choosing direction of the decisions for Australia to run and to again get back into the economy we had 40 years ago. There are rare persons who are "alright" if they were not held back by more ruthless persons in the parties who sway the rest of the party in to "obedience to obey the party promise of agree to the majority". There are too many people there who are willing to prostitute their position in parliament to be not seen as a party rat, and there are as many who are prepared to be a rat to destroy the economy and fair treatment of the Australian worker and small business, and they hold high places in their party. They are only in it for the obscene salary, but the evidence of their ability and integrity shows that if the salary was reduced by even 80%, they would not be underpaid.
Posted by merv09, Thursday, 30 September 2010 9:21:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kevin Rudd was not politically assassinated. Australia has a Westminster system. If the oligarchy which controls the parliamentary party is dissatisfied with the prime minister for any reason they have the right to organise a vote to depose him. It is a vote of no confidence within the party rather than a vote of no confidence in the entire parliament. The Westminster system worked as it was supposed to work.

I would prefer separation of the legislative, executive and judiciary branches of government where the head of government is elected separately and is not part of parliament.

However, the system we have worked as it is supposed to work.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 30 September 2010 9:45:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"...my political forensic skills are nil," says Don Allan.

Amen to that!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 30 September 2010 10:20:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f: "Kevin Rudd was not politically assassinated. Australia has a Westminster system"

"Political assassination" is used as a metaphor in these circumstances to describe the shocking, unheralded and psychically violent termination of a prime ministership.

Nobody has ever claimed the actions of the ALP were illegal or unconstitutional, because they weren't. As you point out, we have a Westminster system.

But there was a political assassination. Metaphorically speaking.
Posted by briar rose, Thursday, 30 September 2010 11:55:21 AM
Dear briar rose,

I'm aware that political assassination is a metaphor but to my mind an inappropriate one. If one cannot accept being turned out by party action don't become prime minister under a Westminster system. It's that simple.

It was not shocking to me. It was unheralded, but party machinations are by their nature not done in public. Psychically violent? If one doesn't have a tough hide one shouldn't be a politician.

I don't believe any politician climbs the greasy pole to the top without some lack of concern for those who have been stepped on during his or her rise. From what I have heard Kevin Rudd was a demanding and domineering boss when he headed a bureaucracy.

I was very impressed when I read the articles on Dietrich Bonhoeffer that Rudd wrote for The Monthly. He wrote of Bonhoeffer’s compassion, courage and dedication. They were moving essays. I was elated when he became prime minister. I think almost all of us were moved when he made his ‘sorry’ speech to the Aborigines.

It was downhill from there. He was no Bonhoeffer. He referred to climate change as ''the greatest moral challenge of our time'' only to waffle on it and shove it aside. He kept Howard’s paternalistic policies toward Aborigines in the Northern Territory. He kept Howard’s National School Chaplaincy Program which unleashed fundamentalist beasts of pray on school children. He took hordes of advisors with him to a meaningless climate change conference in Copenhagen. He spoke of a great increase in Australia’s population. He seemed to lack awareness that we live on a finite planet. He did not inspire the nation or express a coherent vision for Australia’s future.

He exemplified Parkinson’s law. He had risen above his level of competence. If he had not been deposed I would have wondered about the competence of his parliamentary colleagues.

I think he can write great essays and hope he writes more of them. I appreciate your posts. They seem well thought out.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 30 September 2010 1:27:54 PM
I am not a ALP voter but I must confess how shocked I was at Rudds sacking , I am still trying to come to terms with the midnight event.
Rudd was a breath of fresh air , a new dynamic replacing a competent but medieval leader, Howard . Rudd I correctly accessed was a Salesman , a man from the street who's mantra was "BS Baffles Brains" the Big question is would the ALP have won Gov't without Rudd ? Everyone knows that answer.
Posted by Garum Masala, Thursday, 30 September 2010 1:38:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy