The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > East China Sea flare-up: learning the wrong lessons in Beijing > Comments

East China Sea flare-up: learning the wrong lessons in Beijing : Comments

By Dean Cheng, published 5/10/2010

Beijing’s diplomatic paroxysm and economic blackmail have led to its desired outcome with Japan.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
But can a near bankrupt super-power with a polity almost as dysfunctional as that of Saudi Arabia be a reliable ally?

America is down but, the desires of America bashers notwithstanding, it need not be out. It faces no insoluble problems. But the American body politic has gone berserk. Americans seem to have lost the resolve needed to tackle problems. In the end they are more likely to defeat themselves than be defeated by China.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 9:02:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don’t see China’s response to this incident as being any different to their response to the Chinese-born Australian they kidnapped from the Chinalco deal, and imprisoned, demonstrating the impotence of the Australian government ….he IS an Australian citizen after-all. But China locked him away for “treason”…which can only be done against your own country of citizenship, not another country otherwise the charge would be espionage or spying or something of that nature. This means that they don’t recognize his Australian citizenship, to charge him with “treason”.

IMO, China did this to demonstrate to the rest of the world that despite it is entering the Western Economy, we are not to think of it as a Western country and that it still runs its own race. I get the same impression from the Japanese situation…China wishes to demonstrate that it is its own law, and international law means nothing to them. In short, it is its own entity. America does precisely the same thing, only less visually. It’s the nature of powerful beasts to pound their chests and to state their authority. And when they are as powerful as the USA or China, you just do as you’re told. Might is right in their worlds. I’m not condoning any of it, just drawing the parallel.
Posted by MindlessCruelty, Wednesday, 6 October 2010 9:01:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder if the Chinese are also 'getting even' for Japan's appalling record of atrocities against China in the first half of the 20th century. It's possible that the punishment of Japan is just beginning.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 7 October 2010 7:10:18 AM
I agree Washington has no intention to help those who will not help themselves. Will you send this article to a Japanese Prime Minister, Mr. Cheng? Make sure the name of the Prime Minister. Tokyo has a new prime minister every Monday morning. Japan
Posted by Michi, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 7:55:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy