The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The future is fusion > Comments

The future is fusion : Comments

By Don Allan, published 7/9/2010

When it becomes commercially viable, fusion will not only solve nearly all our energy problems but it will also combat CO2 emissions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Thanks you for the post.

Posted by kathleenp980, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 2:02:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy website:

"Fusion is expected to become a major part of the energy mix during the second half of this century. With adequate funding, the first fusion power plants could be operating by 2040."

http://www.fusion.org.uk/Fusion_power.aspx

Well put Jedimaster about using "denier" whenever you don't want to argue the point logically. This might be the new "nazi."
Posted by ericc, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 8:48:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have discovered a new constant of nature. With due immodesty I call it "Meyer's constant".

Here it is:

Commercial electricity generation through nuclear fusion is always 50 years in the future.

It was 50 years in the future when "Zeta" fired up amid great fanfare in 1954. Now, 56 years later, it is still 50 years in the future.

Meyer's constant is there alongside Planck's constant, Newton's gravitational constant, the fine structure constant and pi.

I consider the discovery of Meyer's constant to be my finest achievement.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 10:06:32 PM
Ultimately fusion is the way of the future, but as there is no obvious Green-Left issue with it (yet),it cannot be used by them to bash Western capitalism and Democracy. Because of this it is being relegated as a non issue by the Left.

Its problem is that it is too good an answer.

Greenpeace don't want anything that is so good they can't use it to cause social and political disruption. After all, they would be redundant!
Posted by Atman, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 10:52:28 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Steven but there are many who claim the discovery of your constant. Even my humble self - on P209 of my book -

www.energyinachangingclimate.info
Posted by Martin N, Wednesday, 8 September 2010 10:17:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But when did you say it Martin N?

I said it as part of defending my dissertation in 1969. It almost cost me my degree.

Advice to all wannabe postgrads.

DO NOT ATTEMPT JOKES WHEN DEFENDING A DISSERTATION.

Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 9 September 2010 12:24:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy