The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > McCarthy in Israel > Comments

McCarthy in Israel : Comments

By Neve Gordon, published 6/9/2010

Israeli academe, once considered a bastion of free speech, has become a testing ground for the assault on liberal values.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I would like to quote a well respected foreign correspondent

Alan Hart is a former ITN and BBC Panorama foreign correspondent who covered wars and conflicts wherever they were taking place in the world and who specialized in the Middle East.
His Latest book is called Zionism: The Real Enemy of the Jew. He stated…..
“ I think it could and should be said that Zionism succeeded, probably beyond its own best expectations, in transforming the obscenity of the Nazi holocaust from a lesson against racism and fascism and all the evils associated with them into an ideology that seeks to justify anything and everything the Zionist state does. War crimes and all”.

One should also add besides war crimes the restriction of struggle, free speech and any view that is contrary to the government dogmas dictated by the rightwing Netanyahu’s of Israel and the transplanted neoconservatives, fresh from outstanding failures in the US as advisers to Bush, having promoted through false flags the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war and if they have their way, the planned war in Iran.

What is included in the writings of Neve Gordon in this article is just a visible next step in the process, well under way in 2010. The final brainwashing of the Israeli population.
The transfiguration of the population of poor, homeless Jews and the millions that followed the original settlers, to a population which has now become a mixture of extreme arrogance and insufferable self-righteousness and has developed into the most dangerous state on the planet. View any candid footage of unguarded comments from any street, café or meeting place in Israel and you will note the disdain shown to all other nationalities, everywhere.
The respect the world had for Jewish people, their early plight and since then, their achievements, has now transferred into a dislike of everything touched by such an arrogant state based on their hatred and malice.

How does one teach students in that environment, Neve?]

The era of the Jew has been supplanted by the age of the Zionist. The self destruction stage has now begun.
Posted by rexw, Monday, 6 September 2010 2:24:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rexw
Your racist generalisations and abaurd overstatements ("most dangerous state on the planet") show you to be no better than the political ideologues trying to silence Neve.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 6 September 2010 2:54:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhian :
Your personal attack on Rexr is an attempt to slay the messanger (hoping to thereby stifle legitimate critism). That is what the article is complaining about , isn't it ?
I would be very worried if you lived in Australia . I would be even more worried if you enjoyed Australian citizenship .
Posted by Oz, Monday, 6 September 2010 8:38:59 PM
So Rhian,rexw is racist while the ethnic cleansing of the Palistinians by the Zionists is a noble objective?

The Zionists had good teachers in the form of the Nazis.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 6 September 2010 8:41:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay and Oz

I’m not defending Israel’s record or Neve’s critics, nor am I trying to silence anyone. But anyone who talks of a nation as “a mixture of extreme arrogance and insufferable self-righteousness,” and of a universal dislike for Jewish people (not even Israelis) based on their “hatred and malice” is self-evidently racist. I would (and have) said the same of anyone using the similar terms of (for example) Muslims and Arabs.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, and you certainly don’t neutralise hatred and bigotry with more of the same.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 6 September 2010 10:12:42 PM
And I should care because....?

No, seriously, why should I or anyone in Australia care what happens in Israel?
Posted by lentaubman, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 8:33:47 AM
Why should Australians care about what happens in Israel?

Probably because Israel is controlled by religious extremists who have nuclear weapons and the very latest in delivery systems and because these extremists have made threats of nuking Iran. This could lead to nuclear war which might lead to the end of our world.

That's why!

http://www.dangerouscreation.com
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:44:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
lentaubman

"...why should I or anyone in Australia care what happens in Israel?"

Because what is happening in Israel is its brutal occupation of Palestine. Because whilst Israel continues its current policies there will be no chance of peace in the Middle East. Because a secure and peaceful Israel would be good for its citizens and the rest of the damned world! Enjoy what you have and let the indigenous people of Palestine have some peaceful enjioyment of what's left of their land when Israelis stop raping it.
Posted by Stan1, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 11:48:29 AM
When every other option fails, try the impossible: a secular, single state. Crazy, eh ? I'm not saying that people should fall into each others' arms right away, but just to start taking steps towards a secular democratic federation, and a disavowal of all of the religious fruit-cakes on both sides, Shas etc. on one side and Hamas on the other. Of course, this all would need some foreign peace-keeping force for a time, perhaps a century, and it could be slowly brought about in stages: association, combined Olympic team, confederation, common President, observers in each others' parliaments, whatever, etc.

But sooner or later, Left and Right will have to both realise that there is no place for a religious-based state in the modern world - Israel, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or whatever. Perhaps those parts of the world will have to have their Thirty Years' War before they reach their Westphalia moment, and slowly catch up with the 21st century. The tragedy is that decent, courageous people like Neve Gordon get ground down in the process.
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:52:36 PM
Rhian,

I am really sorry that you feel that I have exaggerated my comments on this subject. I cannot help but think that whatever your experience is in that part of the world, it would be hard to overtake my study of the Palestine situation for over 42 years. But of course, I could be wrong.

I am also sorry that if you represent the thinking of people who will one day be forced to return land to the rightful owners, the job is going to be harder than I ever thought. Rational argument is generally a great leveller and if there is some aspect of my original post that may be way out of line, please say so. I can be objective in relation to the attitudes of Jewish people through first hand knowledge of many Australian Jews, some of whom have avoided the march to Zionism but sadly many others have been caught up in the efforts to compromise politicians to promote their viewpoint as reflected in our tame and seldom mentioned foreign policy.

Whereas the situation in Australia is relatively harmless when compared to Washington where the Congress and Senate have been totally compromised due to the weak administration of Obama, we must remain vigilant against such intrusions into a sovereign state and its policies, hopefully without corruption.
Sadly this is already in place through the energetic efforts of the Jewish activists in Melbourne, from which no real Australian can gain any pleasure. But historically, it is the way the Israelis work as I am sure you would know, likened by far more knowledgeable writers that I to 'enjoying a parasitic relationship'.

Finally, Rhian, I would like to draw your attention to the comment this week of Rabbi Yosef. I am certain that you are well aware of it.

“God should strike them with a plague, them and these Palestinians. It is forbidden to be merciful to them. You must send missiles to them and annihilate them. They are evil and damnable”

I do rest my case.
Posted by rexw, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 5:39:29 PM
Rexw

You have inferred that anyone who condemns your intemperate language means I “represent the thinking of people who will one day be forced to return land to the rightful owners”. Not so. I have not expressed any opinion in support of, or against, Israel’s actions.

This article is about ideological illiberalism. This is equally a vice of Israel’s supporters and opponents.

I don’t condone the words of rabbi Yosef – in fact, they are striking similar to your own. Compare “they are evil and damnable” with they are "an arrogant state based on hatred and malice”. Seems to me you’re both playing the same game, just for different teams.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 6:21:21 PM
Sorry Rhian , I got the clear impression that you really were trying to silence .
Posted by Oz, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 8:15:29 PM
We have to distinguish between being Zionist and Jewish.The Zionists from what I've observed are no different from Hitler.They have this biblical manifest destiny,of the chosen people who will one day rule the planet.

In their quest they are taking us all to the brink of oblivian.Conservative estimates puts Isarel's nukes at 200 with an upper range of 400.This is against the nuclear non proliferation treaty.Iran has yet to develop one.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 8:55:18 PM
David G

So far as I know the Israelis have not threatened to nuke Iran. They have hinted they may launch a conventional attack in order to destroy Iran's nuclear program. I suspect this is bluster as I doubt they have the capacity to do that.

Frankly if the Israelis were able to defang Iran before that country obtained nukes I would be relieved. As religious fanatics go the Israelis seem less threatening than the Iranians.

More worrying than Israel's nukes is Pakistan's growing nuclear arsenal. There we see a country filled with religious fanatics that seems to be undergoing a slow-motion implosion. Perhaps not so slow-motion. What happens when Pakistan's religious fanatics gets hold of that country's nukes?

Stan1

I don't think the story of Israel's occupation is as one-sided as you imply. However, even if the Israeli regime is as brutal as you seem to think, why is Israel more worthy of indignation than, say, the Chinese in Tibet and Xinjiang, the Sudanese in Darfur or Kim Jong Il's North Korea or the definitely brutal Indonesian occupation of West Papua? The Indonesians don't even have the excuse that the West Papuans want to destroy them.

Doubtless you can think up some rationalisation for focusing on Israel.

In general I am not a fan of Australia getting involved in other people's conflicts which is why I would like to Australian troops removed from Afghanistan immediately. I don't want to see one more Australian soldier die in Afghanistan.

However as you seem to feel it is our duty to leap to the defence of people who are being "brutally oppressed" perhaps you would you like to see us stay and protect Afghan women from the Taliban? I know Afghan women don’t have it easy even now but under the Taliban their life becomes a hell on Earth.
Posted by lentaubman, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:19:14 PM
"On May 31, I joined some 50 students and faculty members who gathered outside Ben-Gurion University of the Negev to demonstrate against the Israeli military assault on the flotilla carrying humanitarian aid toward Gaza"

It is beyond belief that anyone can believe: "the Israeli military assault on the flotilla carrying humanitarian aid toward Gaza"

The protesters on that particular 'humanitarian' ship were the first to attack the Israeli military, their response was just that - response to the aggression toward them. The Israeli military had boarded the other ships, investigated to ensure no arms were being shipped to 'hamas' and then let them go without further ado. As they have been doing with all the humanitarian aid for some time. The same would have applied to this ship - only IT was there for a purpose and that purpose was for political propaganda against Israel ... and it worked.

It seems that Israel is the country that everyone loves to hate these days. It is politically incorrect to see anything Israel does in good light.

BTW I am non-jewish so have no reason to be Pro-Jewish.

For goodness sake folks, look beyond the media and all who have an anti-Jewish agenda.
Posted by fiandra, Wednesday, 8 September 2010 6:40:47 PM
The previous post stated

'For goodness sake folks, look beyond the media and all who have an anti-Jewish agenda'.

We would all love to look beyond the media as the media is totally Jewish controlled, but we can't.

You were obviously influenced by the BBC Panorama Report on the Gaza matter which has been discredited everywhere, so much so that they closed down their comments section and appear to be investigating the editing efforts of this report.

As for Australia, the Likudist Murdoch, controlling as he does the majority of media in this country thanks to supportive governments over time, also owns the outrageous Fox Channel. It is the main source of biased media. If you do not read the Fairfax press then you are being starved of honest reporting in Australia.

The people "who have and anti-Jewish agenda" are the people who love freedom, who want the Palestinians to have their own country back, who do not like apartheid and ethnic cleansing, phosphorous bombings, murder, assassinations, terrorism, who can remember the Shatila and Sabra massacres by the Israelis directed by Ariel Sharon and who dislike the freedom granted to the agents of Israel as they try and control parliaments everywhere to support their evil objectives, as they now do in the US through graft and corruption. A parasitic tail wagging a compromised dog.

They also see Zionists as latterday Nazis. There are still some of the loveable Hollywood-type Jews with the funny accents and those decent people who have assimilated into countries as good citizens, but even they are being brainwashed by the hateful rightwing Netanyahu policies.

Had enough reasons yet? I am limited by word numbers, sadly, but try the Iraq war, Afghanistan, trying hard for an Iranian war as well, false flag activities. The list goes on.

Fortunately, the majority of readers and contributors to Online Opinion are better informed than you appear to be and are well aware of all the above and then some, so I will close.

If you want the real story it is out there but you have to want it.
Posted by rexw, Thursday, 9 September 2010 8:42:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy