The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > She-wolves in sheeps' clothing > Comments

She-wolves in sheeps' clothing : Comments

By Elizabeth Willmott Harrop, published 2/9/2010

If we are serious about preventing child abuse, we need to be more open about female perpetrators.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
A very timely article, given that National Child Protection Week is set to start on Sunday, Father's Day.

While the subject is confronting, it's one that needs to be properly understood and to do that it is important to have all the data presented, not just that presented by some advocacy researchers to support their own preferred result.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 2 September 2010 8:47:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More often than most will admit the use of drugs degrades both men and women acting like animals.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 2 September 2010 9:49:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If being a victim of abuse and neglect is a strong indicator of a future as an abuser, is this being addressed when victims are provided treatment? It would seem that victims need greater assistance to deal with the effects of abuse now and for their entire lives.
Posted by Dick, Thursday, 2 September 2010 9:55:41 AM
Such an important topic but I think the blame about whether it is one or the other is misdirected. Child abuse is happening right under our noses all the time. If female or male parents display abuse of parental power by behaving in an intimidatory and aggressive way towards their child, why is it a surprise about the misuse of adult power sexually towards the child? Abuse of children comes in many forms. The ugliness, the abusive language directed at children, the physical intimidation - it happens all the time. I see this happening in public spaces, frequently. Mothers who are frustrated at their own misfortunes, fathers pissed off because things are not going their way and both these kinds of parents taking it out on their children by openly and publicly bullying and humiliating them. I never know quite what to do in this situation. It'a a moral diemma. Once when I did say something, the father (because it happened to be a father on this particular occasion) chased me in anger down the street. I had dared to interfere with his parenting (if that is what he called squeezing his child's arm repeatedly so she was crying out in pain). I think it's short-sighted to think it's just one or the other (mothers or fathers) who are the main perpetrators of child abuse, sexual or any other form of misuse of power or aggression directed towards children. In our society we are not allowed to hit one another, it's a crime, but parents hit children. We have one set of rules for adults and another set for children. Common, child abuse by mothers and fathers is no secret. Take a look around. Reasonable parents may get the balance a bit wrong from time to time, but reasonable parents, both mothers and fathers, are not child abusers. We condone child abuse in our society by keeping silent about it when it happens around us on a daily basis.
Posted by dotto, Thursday, 2 September 2010 12:48:17 PM
Well written, thought provoking article by Ms Harrop with statistical evidence employed. I'm not surprised by the claims especially concerning neglect or suggesting young single mums are at higher risk of such behaviours. Saw too much first hand during time in Qld Public Health.

It's not a magic bullet but I believe making motherhood at under legal adult age of 18 very unattractive would help. Legislation should require child-mother and child be under compulsory scrutiny of Childrens Services (for what they are worth)or if child-mother is under (responsible) parental care, grandparent/s be made legal guardians and recieve payments plus get ongoing custody if child-mother can't/won't act in her childs interest. Also instead of baby bonuses for young single pregnant, offer at least $15K to put baby up for adoption. There'd need be an undertaking to accept long-term contraception and not deliberately become pregnant say within 2 years or age 18 - whichever is longer.

Could be a win-win situation on several fronts. Offering girls an attractive alternative to single parenthood, cutting social welfare costs, solving chronic shortages here that drive couples to seek costly overseas adoption and improving the plight of many poor mites who'd get dragged up in dysfunctional households and then perpetuate the "lifestyle".

BTW Dotto - agree there are thugly parents out there - no skills or just plain abusive. Suggest if you see a child being hit around the head, punched, kicked, shaken, jerked off the ground or having obscenities screamed at them - looking for Security, Police or calling 000 is appropriate. Could try a calm approach (if game) offering help if parent seems overwhelmed but choose carefully.
If you see a parent 'threatening' a child or applying couple of slaps around legs for unruly behaviour or disobedience I suggest Minding Your Own Business! They have probably exhausted the 'nice' approach and now doing everyone a favour by controlling their offspring. There are also too many undisciplined kids and parents who refuse to restrain them. Neither extreme benefits child or society.
Posted by divine_msn, Thursday, 2 September 2010 5:55:20 PM
A thought provoking article that shows just how vulnerable children are with any adult, male or female.

If only child abuse in all its forms was taken more seriously by government departments, and given more funding to try and stop the cycle of violence and neglect that runs through families.

"These points emphasise the importance of seeing male and female perpetrators and male and female victims, as a holistic problem. Furthermore, female abusers often abuse with a male partner, again making the two genders inseperable."

I agree that a holistic approach does need to be used in any family where abuse is known to have happened, and also where there are warning signs about abuse- such as with very young parents or with the children of previously abused parents themselves.

Violence , sexual abuse and neglect is not ok in our society- no matter the gender, culture or race of the victim or perpetrator.
We should all work together against this tragedy
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 3 September 2010 12:45:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy