The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Confessions of a protest voter > Comments

Confessions of a protest voter : Comments

By Tim O'Dwyer, published 20/8/2010

An informal vote may well describe some folks’ dress and demeanour on the day ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I find the idea that people would choose to vote informally to be one of the silliest things I have ever heard. We get the pollies we vote for. Stop blaming pollies for who they are, take responsibility for who we vote for. People are killing and dying for the right to vote around the world. So middle class wannabe's getting their panties in a twist over not likely the pollies they ask for is pretty sickening.
Posted by Kenny, Friday, 20 August 2010 9:28:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article Tim.

Make your vote count where it is most needed – put in an informal vote!

It is more important that you vote for no bloomin candidate than vote for one of the majors when their policies and general political direction are so terrible!

An informal vote should not be considered informal, it should be considered to be a VALID option, which we are perfectly entitled to exercise in a real democracy and which should be taken up by everyone who…..

• thinks that neither of the two big parties are really worth voting for and that voting for one or other of them on the basis of whichever is considered to be the slightly less irksome is NOT a good enough reason for giving them their vote

• understands and objects to the disgusting vote-stealing compulsory preferential voting system, which can take your vote if you vote for a minor candidate and make it count for one of the major candidates even if you specifically don’t want it to!

• doesn’t understand the vagaries of the voting system

• is bored by this campaign and does not have a good feeling for the policies being put forward by the major parties or which party might be the genuinely better option

• doesn’t really care who wins and who would otherwise lodge their vote for one of the majors (as a first choice or via preferences) without a good basis for doing so.

That would cover about 98% of all voters !!

So again, make your vote count where it is most needed – put in a blank ballot paper, because we need a big 'informal' vote to impress on our pollies that what they are offering is not good enough… and that the voting system is fundamentally flawed and MUST be changed before the next election!
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 20 August 2010 9:38:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dont just put in a blank ballot. Write exactly why you are not voting on your ballot paper. There is no official recording of such comments but every count has scrutineers from both sides and they will see it and if enough people do it, it will get back to the parties and their leaders.
Posted by mikk, Friday, 20 August 2010 11:38:06 AM
All this clamouring by the disaffected for others to vote informally is really an expression of how ridiculous it is that voting is compulsory in Australia. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be an issue.

As a Greens member I'll be very happy to vote above the line for the Senate, thus doing my bit to help elect Queensland's first Greens Senator. The House of Representatives is a bit more problematic, since I live in probably the safest Nationals electorate in the state, where the longterm seat warmer is routinely returned with more than 60% of the primary vote.

While I'm tempted to put in a blank lower house ballot slip, I'm going to give the Greens candidate my first preference and number the others such that dear old Bruce is last. At least that will assist the Greens in getting their deposit back, and register publicly that there's a few of us out here in Queensland's Deep South.

That to me seems to be somewhat more productive than just whingeing and leaving Australian democracy as the sole province of the Laberals.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 20 August 2010 12:23:45 PM
Tim,

Obviously the 60's weed has had it's effect on you.
Do you really think that the parties give a toss if you vote informally.
Two obvious questions
- Which policies are you objecting to?
- All of them?
- Who cares....they don't they still get to sit in parliament.
- More money on advertising to combat spoilt inertia ? are you serious?
In a post in the general section among other things I suggest a longer ballot paper in the lower house that advocates policy directives to local members.

The mere fact that Latham was ever considered by any party is proof positive that the current Electoral system is flawed , broken and mostly un-democratic. Having said that it won't change because too many people rather opt out than force change
Posted by examinator, Friday, 20 August 2010 12:31:48 PM
CJ..there is another alternative.. FAMILY FIRST...but I do feel sorry for the poor old greenies now.. this morning my son (early) voted.. first time... and on our way into the AEC office, the green rep BEGGED for our vote... donchuworry..I was courteous :)

How've you been ? not saying much lately..

The federal election... hmmm remember I explained in connection with Multiculturalism and the power of even one large extended family in a close election ? :)

Wellll..*THIS* is just such an election and McEwen is an obvious candidate for such political clout.

Tony Smith (Casey) is an interesting person.. has a baby face, but I assure you all, he is a veritable pitbull..and I suggest VERY ambitious.

Melbourne will be interesting federally.... well.. by monday we should know

cheers all
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 20 August 2010 12:32:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy