The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Euthanasia to relieve suffering? > Comments

Euthanasia to relieve suffering? : Comments

By Erik Leipoldt, published 28/6/2010

Parliament should reject the Voluntary Euthanasia Bill 2009 (WA) as an inappropriate route to relief of suffering.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It is almost unbelievable that someone who quite obviously imagines they are an extremely caring person themselves can recommend that we continue to deny what should be the elementary right of self determination in this matter.

The bill as proposed may not cover everything the majority of the people would like, but at least it is a start. I hope that this will be a free vote when it comes to the vote and that all MP's will vote according to the views of the majority of their constituents and refrain from voting for religous prejudices.
Posted by Dickybird, Monday, 28 June 2010 10:29:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Chapple Voluntary Euthanasia Law should be passed by the WA parliament because over 80% of WA voters ,according to the latest NEWSPOLL ,believe dying people should have the right to end their sufferring by this method .Politicians should not let pontificating priests or others bully them into opposing the right that most of us want at the end of our lives.
Posted by Rama, Monday, 28 June 2010 10:38:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dickybird, Rama,

Then I hope that the issue of advanced Alzheimer's will not come up on this thread, since it's way outside the boundaries of one's effective decision-making and personal autonomy :)
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 28 June 2010 10:42:10 AM
Erik. I've had a look at your site "Towards Good Lives" and understand that you have great convictions, but I must ask you this question. Is your condemnation of euthanasia swayed by your religious beliefs.

I ask because there's no mention of any religious affiliation at your site and I think it's only fair for anybody reading this OLO article to have all the facts before commenting on your piece.
Posted by Aime, Monday, 28 June 2010 10:45:35 AM
Killing our old people is not nice. We did not bring ourselves into this world, but we were surrounded by love and care. I hope our dying will be surrounded by love and care and not lethal injection.
Posted by nohj, Monday, 28 June 2010 10:47:24 AM
Nohj said.... "Killing our old people is not nice. We did not bring ourselves into this world, but we were surrounded by love and care. I hope our dying will be surrounded by love and care and not lethal injection."

I'm sure not many people would want to "kill" our old people and the author wasn't talking about only "old people." This is about the availability of euthanasia for people of sound mind who, having considered all the alternatives, believe that dying with dignity is preferable to withering away and despite the authors fears, I'm certain that safeguards can be put in place to eradicate poorly thought out decisions.

And Nohj, "hope" is all we have when there's nothing else left. Should I reach old age and become dependant of somebody else for my care including the total indignity of having my soiled incontinence pads changed by a stranger, trust me, I won't want to be here either. I'd much prefer to go with the help of a simple injection at a time of my choosing, but oh no! The do-gooders and the religious right wing won't allow me to go peaceably, so it looks like that when my time has come, I'll have to take the risk that the method I've chosen to exit this world will work as planned and not make the situation even more intolerable.
Posted by Aime, Monday, 28 June 2010 11:10:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy