The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Learning about the nuts and bolts of China > Comments

Learning about the nuts and bolts of China : Comments

By Brian Hennessy, published 31/5/2010

Understanding China: it's in Australia's national interest.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Brian, I strongly half-agree and strongly half-disagree.

I've spent more than a few years in China, I can speak basic mandarin. I've visited a fair number of historical sites throughout the country and I've visited a fair number of Chinese cities, small and large, and lived in them.

You're right insofar as Australia is woefully neglecting Chinese language education. Children who are taught the language in schools rarely get anything beyond a shallow exposure.

Besides, there's scarcely more than a handful of year 12 students studying it. It's shameful and we need to do better.

As far as 'understanding' China goes, I don't think that's necessarily what's required. Politically, all countries do what is necessary for their own needs.

There wasn't such talk about 'understanding' Japan during its rise. You deal with them on what you believe is a reasonable basis.

Ultimately, I think China likes to play the 'you don't understand us' card in negotiations and use it to their advantage. I can hardly blame them, it's a handy tactic. Many seem to nod and say "yes, yes, it's true, we need to understand them more".

Meanwhile, the powers that be in China bristle at the slightest criticism and again deploy the 'don't criticise what you don't understand'.
You're right that it's an entirely different mindset. One that rejects criticism.
I however, think criticism is a key element to any robust society. So frankly, when they cry foul about not being understood, I'm inclined to think it's mostly posturing.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 31 May 2010 11:39:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why not list the names of a few useful books on China?
Posted by Seneca, Monday, 31 May 2010 12:06:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PULL THE OTHER ONE BRIAN ;)

Just a little concerned that you may by enduring undue happy chats with MSS state media up there in Chongqing, China :)

Having grown up with some overseas Chinese, in Australia, I can understand why they were a little anxious that the Mainland's power and influence would one day catch up with them.

Yes we should indeed have greater state instruction in Australia for young Australians in Chinese language, history, values and not to mention virtues.

Then, by some logical leap, young Australians will understand a huge insular-by-law country. This (re)education may to some extent make amends for the blocked communication channels (closed internet and censored media) well known to be enjoyed by normal Chinese people.

Given the insular nature of China a little gentle prodding of our people is indeed required.

Don't know whether you are aware of http://www.confuciusinstitute.unimelb.edu.au/ and similar institutes in other Australian cities?

One can be taught fluent Chinese and enjoy free trips to China if one is a Labor politician (a la Rudd, etc) but that does not necessarily make one a dispassionate or even-open minded observer of China.

One could in fact became over-awed.

People are only half joking when they term Rudd "The Mandarin Candidate".

To spend (what?) 8 years learning good Mandarin may well aid one supporting one's country or alternatively the diligent student, or budding politician, may be bought.

Having experienced some (fortunately gentle) directed mainland Chinese pressure (in Australia) I know how much China can spend to influence even individual Australians and how even Australian authorities bend over for China.

If China decides to imprison fluent Manadarin speaking Australians like Stern Hu then it can bl**dy well fork out the money to teach Australians Chinese manners and "justice" - in Australia, nicely, of course.

I'm sure one day it will.

Pete
see Embracing China involves risks for Australia on OLO here http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=7324
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 31 May 2010 9:24:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy