The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Too many are living too long > Comments

Too many are living too long : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 28/5/2010

We all hope to remain vigorous into our 80s but if serious malfunctions occur then nature is saying it's time to leave.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
You press all the right buttons in this article Brian. Well done.

We, as a society, do have a lot of questions to answer about aging and when it becomes ridiculous to keep someone alive.

If we could get religion out of the aging equation, that would be a good start. And if euthanasia could be legalized, that would also lessen the pressure on the public purse. And if doctors could be legally allowed to help patients to die if that was their wish, another remedy would be available.

Speaking for myself, when I reach my use-by date, I will depart the scene with dignity and without regret!
Posted by David G, Friday, 28 May 2010 9:53:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hear hear.

I am 64. When I turned 60 I made a decision. If I start dementing I am going to kill myself while I still have sufficient clarity of mind to do the deed. I have decided on a method and acquired the necessary tools.

I am not going to end up in a nursing home like that man in Sydney.

I do not want to live on in a vegetative or even semi-vegetative state.

But what really infuriates me is this. Because of our archaic laws I am probably going to have to kill myself earlier than is necessary because I know this is one job I shall have to do myself.

I think my biggest horror is starving to death because putting me out of my misery is against the law while removing the feeding tube is OK.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 28 May 2010 10:00:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree mainly with your thoughts Brian. The only aspect I would add is that we should value all life no matter what the age and it should be about quality and choice.

If an 80 something is still functioning well and enjoying life despite some medical ailments, even with the cost of care that expense is well allocated. Care should always be an option in a compassionate society however I agree that keeping people in vegetative states is cruel and serves no quality of life purpose.

Like stevenmeyer I want to be able to decide when my quality of life is no longer of value to me.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 28 May 2010 10:18:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
same idiotic philosophy that turns a blind eye to killing the unborn now wants to pop off the oldies. David G is right. Religion is the problem. That is the earth worshipers religion that has a death culture.
Posted by runner, Friday, 28 May 2010 10:38:12 AM
Thank you for mirroring my sentiments exactly Brian and stevenlmeyer. The current situation of keeping people alive by artificial means is ridiculous. "Artificial means" to me includes drugs, intubation and lengthy treatments for deadly diseases when the prognosis is grim.

Still, my dear old mum turns 100 this year. She's hardly seen a doctor all her life, except (obviously) during her child bearing days. She takes nothing more in the way of drugs than a simple half an aspirin daily to ward off a stroke and takes good diet/fluids thanks to the care giving by my sister. She suffers dementia, has nil short term memory, long term memory impaired, she's almost deaf, frail and in great pain due to her stubbornness in refusing to see a doctor years ago when a knee and hip operation could have given her great relief, yet still manages to get around the house. She still enjoys family, a drop of Port and loves to laugh, however she remains totally dependant on the care my sister and visiting health care workers give her in her own home. Left alone she'd be dead in a matter of a couple of weeks, but neither my sister or myself could for a moment consider such a thing.

My only hope is that I haven't inherited her longevity. One of my kids have already told me that..... "there's plenty of good nursing homes out there" and..... "we have to have a life too you know and it doesn't include looking after you when you're old and infirm!" Obviously he doesn't know about the true state of under funded nursing homes and lack of staff. So I'm with stevenlmeyer on this one!
Posted by Aime, Friday, 28 May 2010 10:38:34 AM
My mother is 99.

She has not walked in almost a year, after some very bad treatment, in a public hospital, & is now in a good nursing home.

About the only real pleasure she has had in a year was when almost all her family gathered in her room, for her birthday. Unfortunately, she could not remember it 3 days later.

I an getting to hate visiting her, as she begs to be taken "home" to her granny flat, adjacent to my home, & be left there to die. It's hard to take.

I'm going to make bl00dy sure I never get to this.

Like Steven I have the plan, & process in hand, in a way that minimises the effect on loved ones. When they want my drivers licence, that will be the day
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 28 May 2010 12:07:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy