The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abbott should run a mile from 'Big Australia' policy > Comments

Abbott should run a mile from 'Big Australia' policy : Comments

By John Pasquarelli, published 19/5/2010

The main political parties have never consulted with core Australians on multiculturalism, immigration, refugees or citizenship.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Australia's population in 1970 was a touch over 12.6 million. Today, the population is approaching 22.4 million. That's an increase of about 10 million in 40 years or an average of 250,000 a year net.

At the same rate of growth, Australia's population in 2050 would be about 32 million.

The current net immigration rate, however, is 451,000 (in the year to September 2009)or 2.1 per cent on a bigger base. At the rate of 450,000 increase per year for the next 40 years, Australia's population in 2050 would be more than 40 million. Again, as the base increases, the actual rate of population growth might be greater, since birth rates are higher in many immigrant communities.

However, birth rates have declined and immigration has increased. Of the 451,000 population increase last year, an estimated 297,000 were immigrants. The impact of such an immigration rate will clearly be greater than in the past.

Worse, immigration both legal and illegal, has skewed towards sources which are manifestly incompatible with western democracies, as the serious Islamist violence in numerous European countries (UK, France, Sweden, the Netherlands,Germany, Belgium, Denmark....)attests.

It's a little appreciated fact that immigration policy in this country is largely influenced by migrants who drive the multi-culti industry (and have done for decades), including from within the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and its predecessors.

Tell us, Mr Rudd, what is the magic formula by which you will prevent the situation here from deteriorating to European levels? Here's a hint: hand-wringing and faux compassion won't work.
Posted by KenH, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 12:39:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is incredible. There was recently an article last Weds in OLO which linked the SPA with One Nation and their anti-immigration policies. Now we have an article from the titular head of One Nation expousing exactly the same line. It really does make you believe in synchronocity.

I had harboured a few doubts that the bearded gnomes were racists. I wanted to believe that their barking mad dogma had a ray of human compassion, but no, it's ASIANS and MUSLIMS out!

John forgot to link population with rising sea levels. Please see previous comments that this neatly dovetails in to the Mayan prophesy about the end of the world. My citation is the movie 2012.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 12:58:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thankyou cumudgeon

Unforunately while yesterday I was able to access DFAT stats.. today I've been SLOwwwwwwwed to 64k because of exceeding bandwidth *sigh*
I couldn't access them without watching a screen for an hour while it re-loaded.
Still.. 20% is a lot.

"Services" ? hmmm I wonder what these are in more detail because I suspect they will not even begin to plug the hole left by the mining industry when it runs out of 'stuff'..or.. worse still and more imminent..when some other country decides to get some fast cash flow from some 'special price' iron ore or coal they have recently brought online.
Such an eventuality could destroy the Aussie Economy overnight.. unless of course our supply arrangements are tied into contracts that are rock solid for a decade.
One even scarier thought is that we simply cannot afford to pay the labor rates which would make industrial investment attractive in Aus.

Car industry propped up by 'special deals' with Unions and Government handouts ? hmm verrrrry short term and purely 'political' I suggest.
Posted by no_THIS_ismeBD, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 1:04:20 PM
I thought you said you weren't coming back to OLO, PorkyBoaz.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 1:09:35 PM
Cheryl's got my vote.
Posted by Bryan Kavanagh, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 2:26:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
... and mine, Bryan

One of the benefits of sites like OLO is that unconventional ideologies get exposed to scrutiny. Sometimes they have interesting insightful things to say, and sometimes they don’t. This is definitely the latter category. The author does a nice job of hoisting himself with his own petard – racist, populist, fact-free junk.

We now have “core” Australians? Who gets to judge who’s core and non-core? Based on this article, I’m happy to self-designate on the second category.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 2:51:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy