The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Labor must start nation building > Comments

Labor must start nation building : Comments

By Leigh Ewbank, published 17/5/2010

The best way for Labor to salvage their reputation and stave off electoral punishment is to begin a program of nation building.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
If we want Progress and Recovery we need to expel Labor .

Nation Building = more BS ; It might save Labor but that's not our Plight , Saving our Identity and Integrity is .
Posted by Garum Masala, Monday, 17 May 2010 10:57:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wholeheartedly support the strategy advocated by Leigh Ewbank here, and I was pleased to sign the referenced Open Letter to the Prime Minister. My book 'Crunch Time'(Scribe, September, 2009) went into practical detail on such matters.

It is a real policy contradiction that a government which can find 30 or 40 billion dollars for national public broadband investment, to make our internet surfing faster, or 30 odd billion for a new submarine fleet to guard us against non-existent enemies, can only find 650 million dollars for renewable energy national investment in the 2010 budget. Also, that it has hardly begun to spend the 4.5 billion dollars allocated in previous budgets to reducing carbon emissions. And that all these national investments are conditional on private sector co-funding. Indeed, we need a real new vision for a nation-building decarbonisation project. And Leigh is right, the route to it is through better informed public opinion.
Posted by tonykevin 1, Monday, 17 May 2010 11:01:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
God save us from Nation Building!

It's all politicians for politicians, they've got their grandiose idealistic dreams, never cared about us, ordinary people, or had second-thoughts about their "right" to experiment their ideas on us, who have no interest in all that and never gave our consent to being pushed and shoved around.

When will they just go away and allow us to live our lives peacefully?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 17 May 2010 6:26:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So after destroying our nation,Labor will rebuild it? Our political system has become totally self serving and in my view corrupt. Govt and the large Corporates are colluding to screw the masses.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 17 May 2010 7:21:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good points Arjay,yuyutsu and Garum.

Really this article makes little sense particularly as Labor is in the process of dividing the country using the old class warfare lines.

I see the author is part of a "think tank". I shudder to think what passes for thought in a "think tank" these days.

Intellectuals are becoming less insightful than the population they seek to manipulate.

I hope we never have a CPRS forced upon us. Its likely to send us all broke.
Posted by Atman, Monday, 17 May 2010 9:52:08 PM
Nation building and the Snowy Mountains scheme model is surely the right approach.
However before it becomes party political the idea of a National Zero Carbon will have to become popular as a proper national goal of which most people will be proud.
Once it becomes a " motherhood " issue the political parties will scramble to adopt it.
If so, then this is an educational issue; when people understand that carbon induced climate change is actually a challenge to our survival, and that conversion to a carbon free economy is relatively easy then the necessary decisions will be made.
Posted by Ron Ho, Thursday, 3 June 2010 7:56:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy