The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Here come the anti-populationists, there go the people > Comments

Here come the anti-populationists, there go the people : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 12/5/2010

The anti-populationists say that population, technological progress and capitalism will irreducibly lead us to ruin.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I would think that large scale immigration is an aberration that doesn’t work very well.

Pity we can no longer produce enough children naturally.
Posted by vanna, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 9:19:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yet another foaming diatribe to follow Malcolm's effort of last December (a must read for lovers of incoherent rhetoric - http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=9819). Malcolm's approach to those opposed to population GROWTH (not population) seems to be to make as many absurd accusations as possible in the hope that some of the mud will stick. But he and his ilk (e.g. my favourite frequent commenter "Cheryl") only succeed in making themselves look silly. The anti-population GROWTH movement is a very broad church of concerned citizens who simply do not believe that humans, however clever they are, can overcome the laws of nature and continue to grow in a finite environment. It's that simple. Some, like Malcolm, simply cannot accept this reality and so rave and rant against those who simply want their children to have a future.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 9:54:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder what the ex citizens of Easter island would think of this article?
Posted by sarnian, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 10:08:23 AM
If only Mr King would stick to facts and not unsupportable generalizations and hyperbole.

I wonder if he understands the difference between campaigning (slagging off) and Discussion.

The more extreme the starter the more distractions and leeway there are for the myopically, willfully ignorant.
On the positive side his comment about the dying off of the Baby boomers is relevant and worthy of input.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 10:14:04 AM
The author is presenting a classic 'straw man' argument by inventing the category 'anti-pops'. Those of us who think that Australia's population growth is too rapid don't necessarily accept all the global warming and anti-capitalist ideology that he claims.The author's thesis is patently ridiculous,economic theory or history doesn't necessarily support high population growth ,in fact there is evidence that nations with small populations perform better.The focus is on-'what is the sustainable population for Australia?',which is by the way, mainly desert,it's not the USA or Brazil.

I agree with michael_in_adelaide-this article is basically a rant,the kind of rhetoric we all expect(and deplore)from politicians.
Posted by mac, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 10:17:45 AM
Actually Michael, I quite liked your last article. It was wrong, as I showed, but it was much better than many of the anti-pop loony tune diatribes.

I have a few issues with some of King's articles. He is clearly pro international development and his Toryism irks me. It seems though that his political experience may have served him well as he has carved all of the anti-populationist tenets with ease.

Michael, you and your ilk may be overly sensitive to criticism and that you are not used to having your dogma challenged.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 10:20:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy