The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Superannuation, Liebig factors, the housing bubble and a soft landing > Comments

Superannuation, Liebig factors, the housing bubble and a soft landing : Comments

By Cameron Leckie, published 5/5/2010

We have designed a financial system that must grow or it will implode. Was the GFC the first of a series of tremors signalling the onset of that implosion?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Interesting ideas Cameron, and I agree on the dangers of our debt binge.

But I'm not sure I understand the key bit:
"Most banks these days offer offset accounts for mortgages, where any balance effectively reduces the principal of the loan and hence interest payments. We should be able to use our superannuation in a similar fashion, with the option of using both our employee and employer benefits, where possible, as an offset to the mortgage balance."

"In a similar fashion". Do you mean, in effect, depositing (some) super in an offset account? So the role of that money would be to reduce mortgage interest? In that role it would effectively earn the rate of mortgage interest.

If you default on the mortgage, would the bank keep the offset, i.e. your super?
Posted by Geoff Davies, Wednesday, 5 May 2010 11:41:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Geoff, that is exactly what I mean. Your super in effect becomes an offset to your mortgage.

However you physically can't access it, so you couldn't go and spend that money, and once your mortgage is paid off, or at any other time, you could reinvest it in any of the other normal super investment options.

If you defaulted, the current processes would apply (eg. bank sells home), but your superannuation would not be touched. The aim of this proposal is to reduce both the likelihood and number of people who this would happen to in the first place.

Cameron Leckie
Posted by leckos, Thursday, 6 May 2010 5:30:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its time the parasites were hit with a Super Profit Tax. Westpak $3,000,000,000 profit in the past 6 months 627 battlers have had their homes taken off them by banks at the same time.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 6 May 2010 5:42:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy