The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Home is where the heart is > Comments

Home is where the heart is : Comments

By Cassandra Atherton, published 28/4/2010

Come closer while I tell you this. Let me whisper in your ear.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
After Cassie's abuse of Australia, one can only say:

- lightweight authors are exportable

- having read some of her work the Americans deserve her

- the American fiction market pays more, must be "where your heart is...."

- one more b(w)itch for Salem...
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 10:26:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hope this sour woman is as happy in the US as we are happy to see her go.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 10:40:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interestingly, it appears the first two posters are 'projecting' inadequacies on to the author and her writing - lightweight, and a sour-puss? Oh please.

Cassandra, I think the article was beautifully written.
Posted by qanda, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 11:10:52 AM
Yes, qanda - a beautifully written and wistful piece. Imagine Leigh calling someone else "sour". Has he ever looked in a mirror?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 11:14:01 AM
Thank you Cassandra, I enjoyed the essay.

Maybe it didn't have enough madeleines for plantagenet's refined palate.

But that's Ok.

Boston is still very cool, I hope you enjoy it as much as you anticipate.

(Did I say cool? Do you really know what winter is like there...?)
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 11:47:15 AM
Look, my concern is Cassie's ceptophilia at the expense of my/our country.

Ceptophilia (love of America and ..cans) by the way, has just been invented by moi (and not Pericles) as it stems from Yank, thus Tank, thus ceptic, with "philia" being added just then, by me. You read it here first on OLO. But I digress.

Cassie can indeed write pretty prose and that does beguile some posters on this thread but she has also decided to gratuitously put down the country (Australia) that brought her up.

She needs to recognise that her openness of thought may actually spring from the Australian milieu, that is a land of sceptics, not a country of patriots right or wrong full of "Truth, Justice and the American Way" - something that hurts so many people outside America's shores.

Having passed through Salem, it is pretty, has charm and is also a tourist trap for the witch obsessed. Only the rich can afford to move and live there. With high costs of living (e.g. for heating) current house prices that Cassie refers to are just one component.

So fiction-philiacs just because some, like Cassie, can afford to move from Australia doesn't justify Cassie's "eFF You" attitude to the lives and values of Australians less lucky.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 12:35:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy