The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Harsh lessons from Stern Hu's trial > Comments

Harsh lessons from Stern Hu's trial : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 8/4/2010

Companies operating in China will have taken close note of the arrest, trial and conviction of Stern Hu.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
"...it is difficult to view this case in isolation from the tensions involving the iron ore negotiations."

Yes everything you say rings as possible and what pundits have summarised as being very much tied in with those acrimonious negotiations.

The thing is what is any government, Labor or Liberal going to do about it? What can they do? Both have always been too tentative about upsetting the Chinese apple cart including Mr Howard's refusal to meet with the Dalai Lama in fear of potential insult to the Chinese.

Perhaps we should rethink our trade arrangements with China, be more assertive about the terms of trade and in matters of foreign ownership/investment.

Wealthy Communists (is that an oxymoron?) are now buying up Australian residential properites at inflated prices impacting further on housing affordability and rentals.

Wake up Australia!

We introduced trade sanctions against Iraq and South Africa for humanitarian reasons, why do we not do the same with China?

We ignored Tibet, now we will ignore poor Stern Hu. What would the Liberals do?

The Chinese have as much to lose as Australia in trading agreements? Why are we so hesitant?
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 8 April 2010 9:53:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrisy

hy·poc·ri·sy
[hi-pok-ruh-see]
a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

I also take exception with this issue, but not that pm Wudd's influence with the Human Rights abusing butchers of beijing is limited. Afterall, what would one say about KRudd if he did have more influence with such a vile regime?

I also have seen interviews with scholarly Chinese types who testify that the chinese guvment and business system is fundamentally corrupt with bribes and corruption being par for the course.

Thus, for such individuals to dispense charges pertaining to same is laughable - a veritable farce.

Same goes for poor old Chanel Corby. Now, I know not the facts of the case myself however, I'll say this - whilst I do not personally frequent such places as Kuta or other such cess pits, I do see through the eyes and hear through the ears of those who do.

The trench coat druggies still deal on the beach, all manner of potentially dangerous concoctions are dealt from the dunnies of the discos, verily the bomb shrine itself is a popular place for deals to go down and all on security camera if you please, and yet the only people who ever get charged are those who do not have a "relationship" with the local constabulary, who in other parts can be seen making their monthly sojourn to the mafia pimp houses to collect their "contributions."

To apply for certain types of VISA's from Australia it is required to have a police clearance for this, and a police clearance for that.

At least "Auntie Sam" from the North American regime on their Consular Jakarta based web site says in relation to the Indonesian police and their "clearance certificates," DON'T bother, they're corrupt.

I respect that, and have little but contempt for the australian guvment approach.
Posted by DreamOn, Thursday, 8 April 2010 11:55:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Julie,
Although I am now well and truly retired. In 1990 I worked for a time in North Asia for a large Australian company. I worked alongside the host country nationals whose engaged activities(employed duties)were to provide us with pertinent information on the North Asian governments business methods and translation duties as required.
These North Asian country's were totalitarian governed, of which daily we were very much aware, and more importantly, we Australians, respected the country's laws and customs in all out business dealings. We were also very much aware that if we transgressed these laws and customs we did so at our own risk and did not expect help from the Australian Government.

Contrary to your assumption that Mr Rudd had some influence with the Chinese Government, in the insight of my own experience, I would very much doubt that Mr Rudd, with his considerable experience of the Chinese Government, would even entertain such ideas.

Julie dear, please don't flog a dead horse, your article unfortunately does sound like sour grapes. In any country people who break the laws of that country must expect, if caught, to pay the penalty.
Posted by Jack from Bicton, Friday, 9 April 2010 12:35:56 AM
*We introduced trade sanctions against Iraq and South Africa for humanitarian reasons, why do we not do the same with China?

Pelican, because shooting ourselves in the proverbial foot, is
not a very good idea. China frankly matters, Iraq and South Africa
did not.

Julie is correct, it pays companies dealing with China, to be wary.
I gather that much of the iron ore negotiating is now done from
Singapore.

Asian Times Online published a comprehensive report on what was going
on behind the scenes in that case. There are 1000 steel mills in
China, but only 100 have iron ore import licences. So huge fortunes
have been made, buying Aussie iron ore at the contract price, then
reselling it at the daily spot price, to those who don't have
such a license.

Luckily the perserverance of Marius Kloppers at BHP has finally paid
off after all these years and from April 1, the contract price will
be more inline with the spot price.

The bloke they seemingly wanted to nail, was the billionaire who
was paying money to access that iron ore. His works is being
amalgamated with Govt steel works, so IMHO the 4 Rio employees
might well have accepted bribes to supply iron ore, but they were
mere pawns in a game being played out in China.

Many a Western businessman has been sunk by deluding himself that
the Chinese will play by our rules. Saving face matters in China
and Chinese self interest matters in China. The rest is about laws
of the jungle. Ignore them at your peril.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 9 April 2010 8:24:15 PM
Yabby

I understand the need for companies to be wary when dealing with China. I just don't like the hypocrisy about human rights and sanctions when it suits us.

Why does China matter?

Coal is doing more harm to the environment than good and we would all be better off reducing coal for more environmentally sustainable energy options. (Did you see 4Corners last night about the effects on the Upper Hunter?)

There is of course always a need to tread diplomatically with China as with any nation, but not at any cost.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 13 April 2010 7:35:51 PM
*Why does China matter?*

Sheesh Pelican, we will have to go back to basics here :)

Australians owe the world, not far off 1 trillion$.
Our monthly current account deficit runs at several
billion $ a month.

Somehow we have to pay our way in the world,
just like you have to pay your bills.

Most of our exports in $ terms are coal and iron ore
but China also takes a huge number of other minerals.

Basically, if China decided to stop Australian imports
tomorrow, we would become a banana republic facing 20%
interest rates, as nobody would lend us a dime.

You would most likely lose your job, as income to the
Govt would collapse and they could not pay their public
servants.

Mining is how we pay our bills Pelican. You should go
to the Pilbara one day, to see how its done. Not far
off 1 million tonnes a DAY, leaving on boats for mainly
China.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 13 April 2010 8:16:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy