The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Two ontologies of ‘being’ > Comments

Two ontologies of ‘being’ : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/3/2010

The new atheists would have us return to a time in which the only realities are power, competition, pleasure and death.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Now who's being mischievous pericles.

Hats off.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 29 March 2010 2:34:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unmitigated nonsense
Posted by Ozymandias, Monday, 29 March 2010 3:01:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cue Sellick, sniffing about how hard it is to have a good theological discussion at OLO.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 29 March 2010 3:18:06 PM
What Houlebecq said. In spades.
Posted by Shalmaneser, Monday, 29 March 2010 3:34:39 PM
Pericles is right.
If I were an organized person (which i am not) I would have collected all of Peter's missives and gathered them together as evidence of a developing and evolving theology. I will actually try this tonight.
Personally, I find Peter an absolutely fascinating person who is on a spiritual journey. It has been said by those wiser than I that a spiritual journey, properly conducted, will always result in atheism.

We have to admit, believer and skeptic alike, that our lives would be duller if it weren't for Peter.

Peter, How does one get an interview with you and when is your book coming out?
Posted by Priscillian, Monday, 29 March 2010 6:34:55 PM
Sells,
having just read the introduction to Alan Sokal's new book, "Beyond the Hoax", I'm afraid your article appears to rather neatly fit the profile of interdisciplinarian dilettantism. I mean, can you please define these "new atheists" you speak of? And your dual ontologies put rather too fine a point on matters, don't they? Clearly you've been reading Hobbes's "leviathan" (or someone on Hobbes): "In the state of nature, every man has a right to every thing, even to one another's body", for instance, and life in a state of nature is "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short" (apart from that it's bliss!). Your ontologies are rather binary, aren't they? What I don't get is where Christianity fits into all this; do you meant to say that it offers an equitable social contract?
And I can't help but reiterate Pericles; your faith in God seems to be getting more and more attenuated, almost like homeopathy?
Speaking as a "humble atheist", all I profess is my ignorance; I reject theism on the grounds that is is patently self-serving nonsense, but I still have an ontology, and it's not scientism. Have I fallen through the cracks?
I should add that I shall be subjecting myself (and Sokal) too to sokal's intellectual rigour--such as it proves itself to be.
We have auto-ethnographies, why not auto-ontologies?
Posted by Squeers, Monday, 29 March 2010 6:53:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy