The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Confronting blasphemy > Comments

Confronting blasphemy : Comments

By Duncan Graham, published 22/3/2010

Indonesian citizens have to carry ID cards that include the holder’s religion. This must be one of six religions approved by the government.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The article is not quite right, the law that is being challenged at the Constitutional Court has no bearing on the case of the imprisoned Christians in Malang. In Indonesia there is a blasphemy law (insulting religions) and a sort of 'heresy law' (free interpretation of religion). It is the latter that is being challenged, not the former at all, and the people imprisoned in Malang were convicted under the former. There is more detail on this here - http://www.indonesiamatters.com/7990/blasphemy-law/
Posted by Patung, Thursday, 25 March 2010 12:46:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<"Indonesian citizens have to carry ID cards that include the
holder’s religion. This must be one of six religions approved by the government.">

I realise that the above quote is just a short paragraph in a much longer article on a broader theme, but I'd like to comment on it all the same.

In England in the 1950s most non-Roman Catholics wrote their religion as C of E (Church of England) on forms requiring such information. As a child I had no idea what it meant, and I remember asking whether a 'Proddysant' was a Christian and if so what were Catholics?

On Sundays we children were packed off to any available house of worship Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses came to us, and we even gatecrashed Jewish prayers at school. We became familiar with Salvation Army, Methodists, Quakers, Presbyterians and even Spiritualists before we tried the top two, whose creeds by then sounded like something they should have grown out of, as a child outgrows his need for a personal Santa Claus.

This tolerant and ecumenical view of all religious theories led gradually to a generous agnosticism. Evangelical atheism seems unnecessary - does it really matter?

Morality and good citizenship was absorbed more by kindly example and the promises made as Girl Guides and Boy Scouts to an ideal more effective than the fear of an overheated afterlife.

We regarded the Easterners' fear of the contagious infidel as 'medi-evil' history, shared by Crusaders who could not recognise a Copt or Christian beneath a turban. The lesson was obvious to us post-WW2 schoolchildren, but apparently not yet to Indonesia.

On applying to become a Girl Guide Captain in Australia in the 1960s, I was asked to please explain the 'n/a' I had stated as my religion. Dishonestly, I changed it to C of E and was accepted.

That shows the danger in defining one's philosophical stance on religion and race as one's thinking matures. There will be as many default Muslims in the Indonesian statistics as there once were default Anglicans in the West.
Posted by Polly Flinders, Monday, 29 March 2010 1:50:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy