The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Early moves towards replacing federation? > Comments

Early moves towards replacing federation? : Comments

By Klaas Woldring, published 23/3/2010

Has the time finally come to restructure the Australian political system and get rid of state governments?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Get rid of state governments? Yes please, sooner the better. Should get rid of most local government as well, Australia simply cannot justify the size of its colonial bureaucratic conditioning system.

”..what about those (many) who have long argued for alternatives but were steadfastly ignored, often ridiculed, or told "this is too difficult”, "impossible", "cannot be done" and "Australians are too conservative"?

The right of course needs all those bureaucrats so’s it can effectively maintain the status quo and slow down any hint of progressive change – anti-racism, anti-sexism, social justice, education, health – while crowing about how it supports less government interference. Lol. In fact of course it has been the left that has the significant heritage of systematically and consistently calling for the community sector to be expanded and the government sector to be curtailed. Great article, thanks.
Posted by E.Sykes, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:18:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< Around the nation we hear the joyful strains that the states are on the way out! So all Australians - let us rejoice. Instead of endlessly finding fault, as is often the Opposition leader's refrain, the time has come for the entire nation to move on and replace federation. >>

I agree. The states are colonial anachronisms that have passed their use-by date. Health and education are just two examples of areas of governmental responsibility that are bogged down in wasteful and inefficient duplication of bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, the removal of the states will require the kind of Constitutional reform that is almost impossible to achieve in Australia. I won't hold my breath.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:33:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Majority of People in the Majority of States. You only need to convince this many eligible voters and you can make any change to the Constitution you want. Yes, democracy is a messy business but the fail safe mechanisms built into the old parchment mean that we get to negotiate and compromise (a la the Hospitals "takeover") when we hit a constitutional snag. If this article achieves nothing else I hope it encourages a few more people to track down the document and read it.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/comlaw.nsf/440c19285821b109ca256f3a001d59b7/57dea3835d797364ca256f9d0078c087/$FILE/ConstitutionAct.pdf
Posted by bitey, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:47:53 AM
The sooner the better - duplicated parliamentary systems and functions are astronomically expensive. State parliamentarians aren't going to give up self-interested power without a struggle. We might have to manage the public service - the Sir Humphries won't like it one bit.

And you'll have to convince people who will think State of Origin matches might become a thing of the past.
Posted by Baxter Sin, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 10:28:48 AM
There was a time, when I too supported the abolition of the States but I was reminded of the associated risks, when the Howard Govt gained a majority in both Federal Houses of Parliament and assumed an effective-dictatorship.

I am concerned, over the potential for a repeat of the Howardian-style trampling of justice, freedom and democracy. With the likes of Abbott at the helm, I am particularly fearful of a 1950's-style return to rule, privatise, deceive, divide, conquer, reward and punish, with impunity.

Hint: think 'Regional Rorts', folks!
Posted by Equitist, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 10:34:43 AM
Australia: population 21,374,000

Two “Unitary” countries:

UK: population 61,399,118
France: population 62,048,473

I don’t see a one party state in either of them Equitist. I think you are jumping at shadows.
Posted by E.Sykes, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 10:54:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy