The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The CPRS - a failure of the left not just the right > Comments

The CPRS - a failure of the left not just the right : Comments

By Carol Johnson, published 16/3/2010

It is all too easy to blame climate change sceptics in the Liberal party for the demise of an Emissions Trading Scheme.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Who cares who stops the nonsense. Long may we be without either an ETS or a republic.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 9:56:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Shouldn’t Australia do its bit to combat climate change now?" When will some people wake up to the fact that anything Australia does will have bugger-all effect on the global scheme of things. I agree that we should curb our emmissions but there are far more practical measures that could be put in place other than an over bloated trading scheme that will cost all Australians in every aspect of their lives. The CPRS is "a great big tax on everything" that Australia neither needs or can afford.
Posted by Sparkyq, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 11:08:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Although I'm sure Prof Johnson's analysis of the politics is competent as far as it goes, she overlooks the fact that reality has moved on. Trading schemes have never been shown to be of any use in reducing emissions - the European scheme has yet to achieve any reductions at all - and so they were only of limited appeal even before the Copenhagen Conference. But now its clear, even to the most rapid environmentalist, that a proper, effective interenational agreement just isn't going to happen there is no point whatever to a local trading scheme. It would be a serious waste of time and money, or at best an ideological gesture. Time to move on.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 11:34:30 AM
Wow, what a close shave we had.

Yes Carol, we know it's going to be hard to come up with another scheme to ensure that huge flow of funds from the tax payer to academia, but hay, you're supposed to be resourceful people, you'll manage, with only a bit of belt tightening.

Interesting the CSIRO, & the bureau coming out with their new scare campaign. Shame for them that more of us can now find the satellite figures, that put thew lie to their doctored figures.

I don't know how long you people are going to keep whipping a dead horse, but you can't blame the left. No, you are just going to have to blame it in the weather.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 11:39:09 AM
Off topic somewhat, but;

Hasbeen >> Interesting the CSIRO, & the bureau coming out with their new scare campaign. Shame for them that more of us can now find the satellite figures, that put thew lie to their doctored figures. <<

Perhaps you can explain to all of us Hasbeen why you think both the CSIRO and BOM are involved in a "scare campaign". I know their message is cause for concern, but would you rather censor them?

Also, can you provide the evidence that the CSIRO and BOM have "doctored figures"? These are serious allegations that need to be backed up - just you saying so is not good enough mate.

And, the "satellite figures" you have found, can you link to them please? I would like to see if they are from the same sources that I have. Thanks.
Posted by qanda, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 12:24:19 PM
“Interesting the CSIRO, & the bureau coming out with their new scare campaign.” (Hasbeen)

Yeah. The CSIRO also comes up with some pretty ineffectual (often dangerously wrong) diets to lose weight. They are also after more money. As for the weather bureau, well, they often don’t know what the weather is going to be one day to the next.

And, I have to say it, if scammers and Rudd are still convinced of the ‘human-cause’ theory of climate change, why the hell is Rudd still looking for a ‘big Australia’? Our miniscule emissions will rise the more people we have here, so there’s not much point in doing anything while Rudd is bringing more people here.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 1:28:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy