The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why melting glaciers mean cleaner, cheaper cars > Comments

Why melting glaciers mean cleaner, cheaper cars : Comments

By Paul Gilding, published 18/3/2010

While electric cars had a bad start, we are now on the verge of the breakthrough we’ve been waiting for.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I wouldn't care if an electric car cost me an extra 10%, if it means that the oil producing countries don't have us by the short and curlies.
Electricity can be produced by many methods and that means there will be heaps of competition which means stability of supply and price.
I may even put up PV and a windmill just to charge my own electric car.
Posted by Little Brother, Thursday, 18 March 2010 11:13:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is all the electricity needed to recharge electric cars at
night but most of it is wasted heating water at a reduced price.
In Australia,heating water with electricity,madness.
In Australia electric clothes dryers ,stupid.
When the cars use the electricity at night the electricity price will go up then solar will heat water and dry clothes.
160 kilometers per charge not enough twice a year,rent a charger trailer with a big petrol tank.1000 kilometers per refill is easy.
Posted by undidly, Thursday, 18 March 2010 11:14:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What silly articles we get from the ratbag activists. If you've got any money. you've better be careful what accountant you use, if KPMG are stupid enough to use him as an advisor, avoid them. I suppose they only use him to buy the Greenpease A/c.

Electric cars will be OK for many of us, if we ramp up enough generating capacity, but with rampant greenies trying to stop anything useful being built, that's unlikely.

I suppose our government will buy some of these, using our tax dollars to buy some greenie vote, & try to save the earth around Canberra. Hell, even if you thought the earth was worth saving, surely Canberra would be the last place you would bother with.

Little Brother, it doesn't work like that mate. You'll find that at night, when most cars are at home, "the sun dont shine, & 70% of the time the wind dont blow nither".

It is all so silly. Get a hybrid, Why? A diesel will burn 35% less fuel, without all the extra cr4p to build, & carry.

Severin, yes gas is cleaner, & we've got plenty, but you do have to burn a lot of it, to get any where.

If you really want to go green, get an old car. It will provide many more jobs, restoring it, & use much less materials, than building a new one, & still cost less. What's more, all the emissions produced building it are long paid for. If you buy a new one, even with reduced fuel usage, it will be 15 years or more before it's earned back all those building emissions with fuel savings.

My 1980 sports car burns only 200 litres more fuel in my average 14000Km a year, than a new little hatch, looks good, drives great, & I can find the bl00dy thing in a car park, something my wife has trouble with, with her new one. Severin, I could convert it to gas, just as easily as a new one.

Why on earth would I want any new car.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 18 March 2010 2:28:40 PM
Not a lot of contructive stuff coming out here. EV's will cost about $40K initially. There's no comparison between petrol cars and EV's re emissions. It's a 90 percent cut in emissions. True, not much use for country drivers as yet and probably a long way off before a mass release. But they're coming.
Posted by Cheryl, Thursday, 18 March 2010 3:44:09 PM
Cheryl - its not a 90 per cent cut in emissions. There is no saving at all. The emissions are just transferred to the fossil fule plant that generates the electricity. EVs are a straight waste of time and money.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 18 March 2010 4:37:21 PM
My understanding is that evs would have lower ghg emissions than petrol even if they were powered solely by coal fired power stations.

http://commontragedies.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/coal-fired-car/

But the ev wont progress without a good battery to power it. The author would do better so speculate on the parameters that might turn the tide. Kilowatts per kilogram and dollars per kilowatt of storage is what will change things.
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 18 March 2010 6:52:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy