The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why are Indian students being targeted in Australia? > Comments

Why are Indian students being targeted in Australia? : Comments

By Lohit Shandilya, published 10/2/2010

Australia was not a popular destination for Indian students until education was linked to permanent residency.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
India professes to have enacted legislation to make casteism illegal yet it flourishes in every state in every town and you only have to rerad the daily newspapers you'll see evidence of it in advertising for marriage partners. Casteism is alive and well in India. For such a country to scream that Australia is a racist country is sheer hypocrisy. For Indian students here to echo the same hypocritical cries is equally hypocritical. I have spoken to Indian students here in Perth who work in our service stations and supermarkets and NOT ONE has accused us of being racists. Some have even suggested there is another hidden agenda behind the whole issue emanating from India.
They have even admitted they they have evidence of Indians preying on Indians. Many so-called Indian students have got here on "student visas" but have not turned up at any colleges or universities. It needs looking into.Our government is partly to blame for its sheer incompetence.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Saturday, 20 February 2010 6:39:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's another Indian enriching us with his cultural practices. http://makingmulticulturalaustralia.blogspot.com/2010/02/indian-taxi-driver-bashes-aussie.html
Posted by ozzie, Sunday, 21 February 2010 1:39:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How is that a cultural practice? When a white Australian beats up another white Australian is that cultural practice or just an instance of crime just like the example that you gave? Why use one crime committed by one person to tar an entire nation? Isn't that why we're saying that Australia isn't a racist country despite the attacks on Indian students? Or do you just have a remarkably obtuse sense of irony?
Posted by David Jennings, Sunday, 21 February 2010 2:36:21 PM
I think the guy who runs that blog is a bit of a dill. He clearly has issues. I'll stick with mainstream news reports instead.
Posted by David Jennings, Sunday, 21 February 2010 2:38:38 PM
David you have written,

“Why use one crime committed by one person to tar an entire nation?”
I don’t believe I have done that. My post states “here’s another Indian...” Thus if you look a few posts back I gave other examples of 4 recent murders of Indian people in Australia which have been played out in much of the media as racist attacks by white Australians. I find this insulting. I have stated that 3 of those Indians were in fact murdered by fellow Indians. The other murderer has not yet been found so we cannot say what nationality he/she is. I agree with you that we cannot paint a picture of the whole country from just 1 incident. However after we have 1 incident, then another, then another, then another, you need to start to ask questions to see if there is any connection. And yet still there are many other incidents not involving murders, such as the young Indian man who burnt himself in an insurance scam and tried to blame it on 4 male Australians, who apparently in an unprovoked attack threw petrol over him and set him alight. There are many more incidents
Posted by ozzie, Sunday, 21 February 2010 5:29:22 PM
So you have a sum total of 5 crimes by Indians and that is apparently enough to condemn a nation of 1.3 billion? There have been many crimes of assault, murder etc committed by white people. Does that amount to a trend which can be attributed to culture or are these just crimes for which certain individuals are responsible?

How do you like that? You've been out-argued by a "bogan" female lawyer.
Posted by Lucy Montgomery, Sunday, 21 February 2010 9:05:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy