The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lets Talk About Racism. - what it is and how to spot it.

Lets Talk About Racism. - what it is and how to spot it.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
There are many people who wake up each day and
continue to experience racism in this country.

I thought it might be useful to have a conversation
about why this is, and for us all to find the
courage to have an honest conversation about this
and to see what we as individuals can do to stop it.

What is your understanding about what racism actually
is?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 5 June 2021 1:13:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A racist action is one where some individual or a group people does something to another person of group because of the "race"* (or better said "ethnic identity") of those others.
Eg: giving people who identify as being Aboriginal ABSTUDY but not people solely of European, Asian, African, etc descent is an instance of a racist action. Now whether someone considers this obviously racist action good or bad is a matter of their opinion.

*: technically the concept of "race" doesn't have a scientific basis. Biologist don't use the term. Instead of "race" it is probably better to use words like "ethnicity". Eg: some English people have historically referred to Germans (and vice-versa) as a different race, but in reality there is no genetic distinction that you can use to distinguish the two groups.
Posted by thinkabit, Saturday, 5 June 2021 5:11:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"There are many people who wake up each day and continue to experience racism in this country."

Well I don't think that's true. Its a claim without evidence. So the rest of the post is really superfluous.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 5 June 2021 5:23:39 PM
There was a factual documentary approx. 5 years ago
which showed " one in 5 Australians experienced
racism in the last 12 months according to one of the
biggest ever surveys conducted on racism and prejudice
in Australia."

" Commissioned by SBS with the Western Sydney University.
Ray Martin investigates the question: 'Is Australia
Racist?' This one hour documentary puts survey findings
into action through a series of hidden camera social
experiments, capturing the experience of racism through
the eyes of those who have suffered it."

We're told that "the results are at times confronting,
but "Is Australia Racist?" also reveals inspiring
Australians facing up to racism and standing up when
witnessing discrimination."

Taken from the following link:

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/875663427897/is-australia-racist
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 5 June 2021 6:33:17 PM
Racism appears to be an intentional or unintentional
offensive message that targets a person based
entirely on their being a member of a minority group.
For example, as we've seen from recent adds on television,
choosing not to sit next to someone because you feel
uncomfortable about the colour of their skin.

Writing negative posts on social media about a
particular ethnic group.

Telling a person who was born and raised in Australia
that they speak " good English."

Making jokes about someone's background.

Calling people derogatory names because they are "different."
Outmoded names like - "wog," "ni**er" "ape" (Adam Goodes).

Hurling abuse at people on trams, trains, or buses,
because they belong to a minority group.

And the list goes on.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 5 June 2021 6:42:50 PM
Hi Foxy,

I'd like to start by saying that the whole idea of racism depends on who you're asking, and it can get quite crazy.

It's like property managers idea of what is and isn't clean.
I rented a house and during the 7 years I was there I must've had just as many property managers,
- And they all had a different idea of what clean was.

Toothpaste on the bathroom mirror and crumbs in your griller are a part of everyday life I argued.
Some of them didn't seem to understand the difference between a periodic inspection and a bond inspection when I move out.

I remember a 'racism related' article a few months back.
A friend shared it with me on facebook, and there were many opinions about it.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/brisbane-venue-under-fire-after-two-very-annoying-asians-docket-emerges-on-snapchat/news-story/430557884d9760ef7583a47bf43b5637

I argued it's not necessarily racist in and of itself to point out someones race.
Am I supposed to be offended if someone calls me an Aussie?
If I'm being annoying should I be offended if someone points out that I'm being annoying?

If I'm being an annoying Aussie in a foreign country (minority) and someone points out that I'm being an annoying Aussie,
Do I have a right to accuse them of racism, when both parts of that which they assert are indeed true?

And so Foxy, I think first we need to define what it is and what it isn't because I'm not sure anyone has actually agreed on a standard set of rules.
- Instead people seem to have their own opinions on what determines an accusation of 'being racist'.

I don't like calling up internet companies.
I don't like dealing with Pakistanis or Indians.
- I find it's much easier to deal with someone from Australia.
Am I being racist, or do I just prefer people for whom English is their first language and who understand the way I talk and my culture better than someone who's never been here?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 5 June 2021 6:51:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy