The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fire Bugs

Fire Bugs

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Foxt first thing every morning I read that map
Right now it seems your family is safe, but we all should keep up to date
Smoke here is easing a bit, and some hope for some rain next week let's hope we get it
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 November 2019 5:08:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-22/bushfire-arson-warning-ahead-of-school-holidays/11528192
Just this year [google it in NSW] big numbers of fire bugs have been charged
By the end of summer lives will have been lost
We need the law to be strong and act as the victims wish
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 November 2019 10:29:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

So far so good. My family seems to be doing OK.
I'll keep you posted.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 1 November 2019 11:59:01 AM
Foxy right now very very strong winds are driving fires near here
But overall better than a few days ago mostly
Summer will be dreadful, here we have not had a bushfire out of control for at least a decade but it is dry worse than we have ever seen
Hopes and wishes for all who lost homes or will this weekend
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 November 2019 1:14:51 PM
We will talk again about bushfires and the tragic loss of animals and even insects fires bring with them
Too headlines yet unwritten will inform us of school kids and yes firefighters being arrested for setting these fires
No joy in knowing/saying we are to confront a horrible summer
And that deaths will result
O sung wo said it all, our justice system lets us and every victim down, every time
May I? long time ago this then very active fighter, went to HQ to get supplies, sitting on a bench waiting for a fire sat five young men who waited with joy in their eyes but little behind them, for the next chance to be a hero
Each, even mid winter, walked the streets in full fire fighting clothing
Two got charged later with multiple fire lighting
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 2 November 2019 5:27:15 AM
Belly I can't understand how it can be so bad down there.

Yes it is a dreadful year, the driest year to date in my area on record since 1889, when records started. However that alone makes my place pretty safe. In such a year little grass has grown, & where grazed there is nothing longer than 10 cm anywhere. Such short grass has no chance of causing a crown fire, the one that becomes really dangerous.

Yes we had a big one down in the boarder National disgrace, Whoops, I'm supposed to call them national parks aren't I, but disgrace is closer to the mark. So bad have they become, chocked with underbrush, that not only do they endanger lives & property with the fire risk, but their impenetrable scrub has forced the wildlife out. I get a dozen minimum kangaroos grazing around the house daily, refugees from the near by national park disaster.

When we get rain, & I say when in hope rather than confidence, the fresh growth will not burn before autumn. My across river neighbor usually has the bush fire brigade burn along the river in late winter/spring to eliminate noxious weeds. 70 Ft high & at a 50 degree angle, it is not possible to do this with machinery or sprays. This year the bank has so little grass growth it could not carry a hot enough fire.

Good luck with it anyway mate.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 2 November 2019 12:10:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy