The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Beware of promisers.

Beware of promisers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
We are continually being promised cheap batteries to run cars & store power. Well be careful of believing those promises.

I had a feeling that Lipo batteries were getting more expensive, but had not bothered to check it out carefully. Today I did.

I needed to replace a small 1300MaH 3 cell battery for a small 950mm wingspan remote control plane. I was a bit shocked when the price was $26.60. I went through my PayPal account & found just under 3 years ago I bought the battery I was replacing for $10.99 from the same supplier. Yes our dollar value has dropped, but no where near this much.

Feeling this was a rip off, I checked other suppliers, & all were very similar, but all dearer. A quick bit of math tells me this is a 142% increase in less than 3 years, or 47% a year. Incidentally 3 years life is about average for these high capacity batteries.

I certainly won't be holding my breath waiting for the price of electric cars, or their replacement batteries to come down.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 22 August 2019 12:42:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
anyone with half a brain can see how much more power costs are now that billions of dollars of tax payer money has been spent on renewables. Those in the scam lie about temperatures, lie about sea levels and lie about science. Why would those pushing electric cars be any different. The most dissappointing aspect is the conservatives who know this has been a scam but have been to gutless to stand up to the woke revolution. One wonders how much the Turnbull family have scammed the tax payers for. Prices for power will continue to rise and no difference will be made to temperatures although be sure many more birds will be chopped up by ugly windfarms. Yep the Chinese are a threat but not nearly as much as the dumbed down generation who love to virtue signal.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 22 August 2019 2:20:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Only having half a brain may I
My camera battery costs near 50 bucks, it was half that three years ago
However my stand alone battery's running back up power cost about a third of what my car battery did
An unfortunate truth
Highlighting some do not understand renewable energy
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 22 August 2019 3:43:47 PM
Some people extrapolate nonsense from nonsense, Hassy your are a master at that very thing.

A battery to run his toy costs $X, whatever, now it costs $xx, so what. What can we extrapolate from that, the cost of batteries to run a future electric car are going to skyrocket! The fact is the bloke selling the toy batteries knows the brain capacity of the purchaser, so he charges accordingly.
BTW Hassy, check out the cost of AAA batteries down at the local Chemist, wow! you can extrapolate from that, that the cost of a car battery must be a million bucks.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 August 2019 10:08:56 AM
Sounds like Paul might have tried to build a remote control TOY some time, failed, finding it too difficult or his limited lefty brain capacity & doesn't since like such things.

Yes Belly, led acid batteries for my cars, or your back up power, are only slightly dearer, but you can't run an electric car on them. Too big & heavy.

Lipo batteries on the other hand are what is used to run an electric car. The cost of them is skyrocketing. I did think that you as a ham radio operator might know the difference, but apparently not.

I checked a couple of Hong Kong outlets for Chinese gear, & found their prices similarly increased, in fact even more so. I doubt the Pauls of this world would understand the effect of supply & demand. China is now struggling to keep up with demand for Lipo batteries, as they are used in many applications. However it is the electric car market that is straining both their mining & manufacturing capacity.

I'll go back to my hobby, I particularly enjoy flying my Sea Fury & Vampire, models of planes I flew while in the navy to defend my country, it seemed a worthwhile activity back then. Having discovered far too many Pauls in Oz, I wouldn't bother defending the place today.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 23 August 2019 11:43:37 AM
Re battery types. A US group did a survey of all possible combinations
of the element tables and found that we are already using the best
possible combinations. So there will be no further major break
throughs in battery types.
Different energy storing techniques might be another matter such as
chemical storage.
Hydrogen is another way to go, but the source to wheels efficiency
is hopeless. There are also difficult fire regulations to overcome.

For residential use Nickle Iron is promising having a lifetime in
excess of 40 years. Short circuit damage resistant, can leave unused
for years and restart without hassle. If I was going to install a home
battery that is the way I would go. Cost higher I believe, but life
time makes them a real possibility.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 23 August 2019 2:59:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy