The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Questioning the voting age

Questioning the voting age

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear Belly,

Mass shootings would increase anti-gun sentiments, thus tilt the votes towards Labor.

Does this mean that you would direct the police to overtly ignore gun-threats and rejoice whenever psychopaths kill people at random? After all, this would surely help your ALP!

No consideration of pros, cons, correctness or morality - only whatever happens to promote your clan... Rather than allowing babies to vote, would it not be even more efficient to deny the voting-rights of senior-citizens? Why not simply eat the other tribe so they will have less votes!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 3:51:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yuyutsu
WHAT?
Find me a single word, one word, that sees me talking about guns
Are you smoking the front lawn?
YOUTH as we know, is more connected with things like climate change and in the end building a better world
As opposed to the self funded retirees who are just to the right of reality
Going to frame my only post here till now and your charge too funny
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 4:04:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Licensed voters sounds good. At least half the population wouldn't pass test.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 4:18:23 PM
Questioning the voting age?

People under 18 can (and d0) leave school, get a job, drive
a car, and pay taxes. They can join the Navy, Army, or
Air Force at 16 years, 6 months - they can join the
Australian Defence Force at 17 (but start their application
earlier if they wish).

Decisions made by elected governments especially in areas
such as jobs, education, health, housing, energy - all
impact on young people. So why can't they vote?

I agree - lower the voting age to 16.

We don't question the maturity of adults (or their
mental capacity) we should give young people the same
opportunities. Many 16 year olds are quite mature.
Many adults are immature. It will balance out.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 4:44:21 PM
Dear Belly,

Suppose indeed that YOUTH support more of the policies that you and your party believe in: is this a proof of their intellectual and emotional capacity?

Suppose indeed that self-funded retirees support your party and its policies less, does this imply that they are too senile and/or less worthy to vote (as opposed to those on the age-pension who are not as senile and/or more worthy)?

It is my view that anyone of any age, even 1-year olds, who passes a basic test to prove their understanding of the political system, the issues it faces and their ability to read and understand political agendas, should be allowed to vote (and be elected). However, this view of mine is based on moral-considerations rather than on political interests.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 4:46:48 PM
At 16-18 they're the right age to get enlightenment & that's why it is a good age for starting an apprenticeship or enter higher education. At 16-18 a human being lacks maturity but has an abundance of idealism. That makes them highly vulnerable to political manipulation & that's why the voting age needs to be at least 21 if not higher.
I mean Mozart was 4 when he wrote his first symphony but the Austrians didn't then turn around & made the voting age 4 !
Those who are pushing for a lower voting age are a prime example of having missed out on growing up with the blessing of common sense !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 6:05:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy