The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Questioning the voting age

Questioning the voting age

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear Belly,

«But gee you lost me here, mate are you telling me only one side of politics is human?»

Where have I said such a thing?

I condemn the very notion as if politics has two sides and I condemn the identification with ANY of those "sides".

I believe that one ought to consider the issues and policies on their own merit rather than follow a herd, ANY herd.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 16 May 2019 10:49:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
".... kids, even if only 16, often know more than us old fogey's."

Unbelievable! I'm not even going to bother looking to see who made that wild statement.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 16 May 2019 11:07:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

If a child of 16 isn't considered old enough and responsible enough to drive, to drink, to buy cigarettes or to sign a contract what on earth gives you the idea that they are responsible enough to decide on government.

When my daughter was 12 she could show me a lot about computers etc, but I still wouldn't give her the vote.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 16 May 2019 2:03:20 PM
SM we continue to hold different views
yuyutsu we too hold different views
See it remains my view minorities only damage democracy
Majorities are there because they are the most wanted
And are you sure many who vote now, at any age, understand who and why they are voting for
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 16 May 2019 4:05:50 PM
I have always approved of the old US revolutionaries slogan of no taxation without representation. It just sounds right.

So why not reverse it. No representation without taxation. Surely it would not be too much to expect the vote be qualified to those who pay tax, & have done so for a minimum of 2 years or so. This would prevent the major danger with democracy, that too many people end up voting for a living, rather than working for a living, & voting for the best interest of the country.

We see in this election with Shorten trying to buy every yobbo's vote & Palmer offering the same type of handouts. Birds of a feather?

Stay at home mums should be qualified by their husband, but students should have to become taxpayers before getting a say in how the money is spent.

I expect howls from the communists among us at this, but it would be the fairest way of collecting government funds & electing those who will spend them.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 16 May 2019 5:42:38 PM
Start paying tax at 18 & present a license to vote at 21 !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 16 May 2019 5:46:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy