The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New UN agreement - Absolutely scary

New UN agreement - Absolutely scary

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. 19
  14. All
Lawyers drafted this Act: Crimes Act NSW s 45 making FGM an offence.

"It is important to explain the fact that FGM is illegal in Australia and New Zealand . Health care workers who are concerned that a child
may be at risk of, or has undergone, FGM have legal obligations to report this."

This UN agreement, like all of them, can only apply subject to internal Australian laws. Just like Manus island and UN refugee agreements.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 7:09:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
nicknamenick it might be illegal try telling that to the increasing numbers that are being subjected to it.

New Report: FGM Prevalence in Australia 2018
March 7, 2018

252% more Australian women with FGM: 2018 FGM Prevalence in Australia

200,000+ survivors and 11 girls a day born at high risk in Australia

No FGM Australia has released a new report identifying high numbers of Australian women and girls who are either survivors of, or at high risk of FGM

No FGM Australia has just released the “FGM Prevalence in Australia: 2018” report which uses global prevalence figures and ABS data to estimate the number of Australian women and girls born overseas who are survivors of FGM or are at high risk of FGM.

The figures are staggering:

A “survivor” group of over 200,000 Australian women and girls are likely to have had FGM or be at risk of FGM
11 girls a day are born to the “survivor” group
A “missing half million” – Australian women who come from countries where FGM is known to be practiced but no prevalence data is available. These women may also be survivors or at risk
A further 35 girls a day born to the “missing half million” group

This is the second time No FGM Australia has published this report – the first was in 2014, and the numbers have increased significantly since that time – 252% increase in the “survivor” group, and a 367% increase in the number of girls born in Australia each year at high risk of FGM.

http://nofgmoz.com/2018/03/07/new-report-fgm-prevalence-australia-2018/
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 7:39:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OK but the topic is Australia being bound by UN . FGM remains illegal. People taking drugs doesn't mean the anti-drug laws are cancelled.

The total African population in Oz seems to be covered by your quote. Some did have FGM in Africa but saying the lot "are at risk" in Oz is a bit sloppy. They are also "at risk" of drug overdose , but they don't pour crack on their kids' cornflakes each day or reverse cars onto toddlers .
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 8:36:21 PM
nicknamenick
Quote "OK but the topic is Australia being bound by UN"

I agree but you are the one who introduced the subject.

Not my quotas, I just posted something that indicated the problem was getting worse.
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 8:59:48 PM
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 6:18:25 PM - Thank you you are the only one to have ever appreciated when something that should be of concern to people is ignored by MSM but reported here.

Answer- My pleasure Philip S. The Main Stream Media is out of touch and, like the UN and the legal profession, needs a broom. The problems at the ABC are too big for a broom and needs defunding. I've discovered Fox on "free to air" and have been substituting it for ABC News coverage. I was put off Fox many years ago during the "Outfoxed" era but seems more in touch now than other providers. I don't have the same research capability as Armchair Critic but I like to know what's happening.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 10:17:45 PM
Philip S
Ooooh no I never .
"(FGM), which almost all Somali women experience in Somalia,
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 6:18:25 PM.

Your figures don't say 1/2 million African women in Australia (really?) may have had FGM in Africa.It says nothing about FGM in Oz.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 15 November 2018 5:53:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 17
  12. 18