The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How To Destroy a Democracy

How To Destroy a Democracy

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Aiden, what is the percentage that humans have had on the environment; compared to volcanoes, bush fires and sun spots?
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 22 August 2018 7:17:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
gw is an observed phenomenon and human activity is altering the composition of the atmosphere in a way that has a warming effect.
Aidan,
Stating facts doesn't alter anything. Providing solutions would. It reminds me of this young workmate who went almost ape when i spilled about 20ml of petrol into the sand whilst cleaning a carburettor. He really raved about me polluting the ground only a day after he returned from a three-week motohome holday in NZ. Just like people carrying on about GW but using the computer to write about it.
Compared to Defence Force exercises pollution, consumerism is a very close second. Anyhow, it won't be too long now that all the low pressure we cause by the extraction of gas & oil that massive earthquakes will shake the hell out of the planet. Now all this human imact is being done in a democratic manner, we all agree to it because we all want the commodities & associated comfort.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 22 August 2018 7:49:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Josephus,
Your question is incoherent, so if you want a proper answer then you'll have to rephrase it. But one thing I can tell you now is the counterintuitive fact that volcanoes actually have a cooling effect. This is because the heat emitted by the volcano itself is less than the heat foregone when sunlight is reflected into space by the dust they produce. And a breakdown has been observed in the relation between sunspot activity and temperature.

___________________________________________________________________________________

individual,
The solution's the relatively easy part. The much harder part is convincing people to implement it - because they're denying there's a problem to be solved!

It makes no difference whether I use my computer or my iPad to write about GW; either way we're not going to solve the problem by reverting to preindustrial methods. Indeed that wouldn't even be possible with the current population. Instead we should take advantage of technology and work to make everything environmentally sustainable.

AndI don't know were you got the idea that the small drop in pressure resulting from gas and oil extraction will "shake the hell out o the planet" but I know enough about geology to tell you it won't!
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 22 August 2018 6:30:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,
Well, that the extraction of gas & oil etc will cause the void to eventually give way is just something I think could happen just as many places at the edge of the abyss are rather vulnerable. A few more atomic tests may just be thing to trigger something.
As I said, I think it's not out of the question.
I was speaking with a nuclear chappie years ago & ask him what he thought of the idea instead of burying nuclear waste, throw it into live volcanoes. He told that would make the lava radioactive. But, wouldn't other hazardous waste be effectively distroyed ?
Anyhow, not really on topic anymore.
To destroy a Democracy all you have to do is to make the pro democracy crowd adhere to the democratic priniples. They'd hate it !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 22 August 2018 7:51:42 PM
individual,
You assume a large void to be left, but that is not usually the case for three reasons (not all of which are applicable at all locations). Rocks above oil reservoirs deflect, there's sand in with the oil, and brine is pumped into the oil reservoirs.

Testing of nukes has triggered earthquakes before, but nobody's proposing testing them in oilfields.

Learn a bit more about geology, and you'll find your fears of catastrophic collapse are unfounded.

As for using volcanoes to destroy hazardous waste, it's technically possible, but it would be difficult to ensure the waste is subjected to a hot enough temperature for long enough. Use of concentrated solar heating would be more reliable.

What democratic principles do you think the pro democracy crowd would hate?
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 23 August 2018 2:40:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What democratic principles do you think the pro democracy crowd would hate?
Aidan,
The ones that require acceptance of majority vote over minority.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 23 August 2018 7:38:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy