The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fostering innovation - but not on foreign affairs

Fostering innovation - but not on foreign affairs

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I can use a mobile phone and post messages on the internet. My parents have a vacuum cleaner that moves around and cleans floors by itself. People are being advised about the future that robots will have in society and about electric and driverless cars.

People have been told by government this is all good, it is part of a growing digital economy and is the way of the future.

But when it comes to foreign affairs, which also involves human lives, many governments, including Australia, take an alternative approach. There seems to be no real serious drive or change from past actions involving some type of violence or use of a military weapon.

http://vimeo.com/132212314

I see it as concerning, as on one hand one element of change is being gratefully embraced, (which is economic), but with another (involving human life), in this case foreign affairs, it is seen as too difficult to address with potential innovation, alternative or new ideas not being taken into consideration.

Why is there this difference in thought? I thought human life was priceless.
Posted by NathanJ, Wednesday, 7 February 2018 12:43:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan J

*...There seems to be no real serious drive or change from past actions involving some type of violence or use of a military weapon...*

We are living in a period of human history right now, of unprecedented peace.
This joyful fact though, does not mean we live in a period of no war.

There is always potential for war, but it is believed from research, the reason for global stability, is due to an increase in world trade, and the influence of Democracy.

War is what is termed, a zero sum game. There are no winners!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 7 February 2018 5:56:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan J
How do you define 'war' other than conflict between entities?
Posted by Special Delivery, Wednesday, 7 February 2018 6:27:44 PM
To summarize:

Hamas fires rockets at Israeli civilians,
Israel comes and clobbers Hamas,

Conclusion: It's all Israel's fault.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 7 February 2018 7:17:50 PM
Nathan must be very young if he has hipster parents who have a vacuum cleaner than runs around on its own.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 7 February 2018 7:45:55 PM
Shadow,

I see that following the Palestinian murder of a 35 year old rabbi the other day in the 'occupied' area, Israel intends to go in even harder on settlement. Is Muse's mate, Hal Colebatch, declared Netanyahu as one of only two Western leaders who is not a coward. Trump is the other one.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 7 February 2018 7:51:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy