The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > PTSD Effects

PTSD Effects

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
After reading the effects recent wars have had on our servicemen, it makes me realise what my son has let himself in for. Before joining the army in October 2006, he had read countless pamphlets on the forces and what it means to fight for your country. The booklets showed pictures of skiing, bungy-jumping, canoing, abseiling and swinging through trees. This appealed greatly to my son, even though I had spoken to him about the rigorous training one has to undergo before all of this "nice" stuff he saw advertised. The point of actually engaging the enemy is spoken lengthily on, whether during training, the look on the persons face you are about to take his life from is discussed, I do not know.(although I am pretty sure it is) The article on PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder) pointed out that suicides were occurring today, some 25 years after The Falklands incident. Some cannot cope with being re-united with civilian life, I must admit, I am getting a little nervous for my son.
Posted by SPANKY, Sunday, 1 July 2007 5:31:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
it's worse than that spanky, he might get killed, or worse- mangled into uselessness.

and for what? to bolster and extend the careers of politicians.

i don't know how your son formed the opinion that playing soldier was more fun than playing footy, but government ads would have contributed.

well, so far the uniformed gunmen of 'er majesties local army have had a dream run- keep your fingers crossed.
Posted by DEMOS, Monday, 2 July 2007 8:36:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Footy is partly to blame. It is a violent war game which is made acceptable because it is dressed up as 'team spirit'. Most so-called team games and competitive sport are another form of war. We pay people obscene sums to participate which makes it even worse. All of this is supposed to produce a sense of 'national pride' when it should provoke national disgust.
It is time we started to acknowledge those who do good - those trying to feed us in environmentally responsible ways, research designed to save the planet and care for the sick.
Posted by Communicat, Monday, 2 July 2007 9:14:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there 'spanky'...

I read your post quite closely, and I can understand the apprehension you have for your son's physical and psychological wellbeing. In another life, I did eight years in the regulars. Consequently, I am a veteran and I'm currently in receipt of a 100% War pension.

Notwithstanding the fact that my health is not marvellous (and yes, I do suffer from PTSD), I wouldn't have missed the experience of 'service life' for a moment. You are taught and trained (by the very best) the necessary skills, in order for you to do your job effectively. As well as to protect yourself and others in the rare instances, of a calamity. Contrary to some perceptions, soldiers don't actually 'play' as has been asserted by the misinformed. For they simply don't have the time !

Often these military skills serve to equip us with the obligatory 'life skills' too. To cultivate maturity and self confidence, and to help us succeed with our lives in the future.

I know that there are many issues that must be worrying you spanky, but try not to listen to media comment. I know my parents did during Vietnam, and most of what they read and heard was substantially erroneous. Be proud of you son. He sounds to be a really great fellow.
Take care.

Cheers...sungwu
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 2 July 2007 5:24:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Spanky, I dont have any answers for you but I can tell you that some strange things happen during war. My husband recently took his own life and then I found out he was in Vietnam abeit for a short time. I asked the Army for his service record and surprise, suprise they said he never went to Vietnam. My husband never mentioned Vietnam except to a very very select few, of which I only found out about after he had died. Two days before he took his life he was talking about it to someone and then went into a very depressed state and was shaking and in a trance. He never really came back from it, he snapped, said he was leaving us and then he waited until I went out and he was gone. I never ever saw it coming and I am trained to notice these things. I can only say to you is to encourage your son to talk and talk and then talk more,dont let him bottle anything up , no matter how trivial it may seem to him. I must also say that dealing with PTSD is not the same for everyone, some people know they have it, some people dont even realise and therefore they never get the help they desperately need.
I wish you the very best and hope everything turns out okay for your son.
Posted by CALLIE, Monday, 2 July 2007 7:03:23 PM
Sungwu,Callie,
Thankyou for your kind words, it has shown me that there are people out there and have experienced what I am feeling and possibly what my son may go through. I read from these comments that it is good to prep oneself mentally although not so much to go overboard with, it's his decision and his alone and being a dad, must respect his wishes and be there for him at all times.
Like so many other parents in my position, they wish their yougsters well in their endeavours through life and guide where we can. This PTSD I think has opened my eyes to the reality of a loved one being in a position that could lead to a life threatening situation and for those youngsters that have joined the forces and taken it as a temporary or as a lifetime career, may the wind be at your backs and the road ahead be full of health and well being.
Thanks again,
Spanky
Posted by SPANKY, Tuesday, 3 July 2007 3:25:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy