The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should we be wasting money on commission hearings.

Should we be wasting money on commission hearings.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
With the penalty rates hearing being the last commission hearing to have released its findings, one has to question whether it is worth the money we spend on such commissions, especially when certain parties had no intentions what so ever to accept the outcome, should it not be to their liking.

Putting aside the evidence that supports such decision to make a small cut to some rates, it would appear pointless if the outcome is only to be debated in parliament in order to have the changes made.

Why not just debate the issues and deal with them because unlike same sex marriage, where the people want to have their say, penalty rates effect a very small percentage of the population and therefore can surely be dealt with without the need for the waste of valuable tax payers dollars.

Your thoughts.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 3 March 2017 7:09:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We don't have the money to waste on anything.

Most people, it now seems, will not be affected by the piddling 25% decrease in Sunday rate; oncoming employees might be.

And,how about the Labor liar working for Target who claimed that he would be losing $109 per week. His employers say that he will lose NOTHING,as he is on an agreement.

The other totally crackpot thing about discussions on the subject come from the idiot, Turnbull, who says that he doesn't want to see people worse off. How can people not be worse off if you cut their income, even by a piddling 25%? The man is a total tool who talks in riddles.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 3 March 2017 8:30:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Rehctub,
Being a person of principle, I have to honestly say I don't like the idea of messing with penalty rates.

I think its totally wrong and unfair for one lot of Australians who enjoyed penalty rates themselves to say the next generation should not have it.
On the simple basis of fairness I really don't like this at all.

But I most certainly don't want to come across as your enemy on the issue, I've heard your grievances and I understand the current situation costs small businesses a lot, that you could do so much better financially.

This is a topic that I really don't have any idea what the best course of action is.

Saw this article yesterday, Ross Greenwood advertising he 'had a thought'... God help us.
http://www.9news.com.au/National/2017/03/02/18/14/A-solution-to-the-penalty-rates-problem

I hate that guy.
I could see him explaining how you could lower your families living expenses and increase your ability to save, if you only rented your children out to peedos...
- Then he'd back up his argument by telling you it would be good for the economy....
He's the guy that would come back with a hammer and chisel to get the 50 cents of the ground that was super-glued there for amusement.

- Trying to argue for a pay increase to make up for penalty rates.
If it didn't save businesses money then why would they consider it?
Do they really think people are that dumb, (granted many are) that you just won't get as much of a payrise for a couple of years and then every worker will be completely worse off?

Arguing the economy will benefit when workers will suffer is a very flaky argument, in my opinion.
Legalising all recreational drugs could also improve our economy, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 3 March 2017 9:33:53 AM
[URL=http://www.example.com]example[/URL]

<a href="http://www.example.com">example</a>

[http://www.Example.com/ Text Here]
Posted by Chloe T Sanderson, Saturday, 4 March 2017 1:22:12 AM
Sorry Armchair but you are mistaken, because penalty rates, in particular, hospitality, went from 150% to 200% back in about 2008 on Sundays when the then minister for employment, Julia Gillard, decided in all her wisdom to create the 'Fair Work Commission' and meld some 400+ awards into a handful. Prior to this it was the department of industrial relations that oversaw awards and conditions for workers.

By in far the best way to protect workers rights, while maintaining small business profits, would be to implement a mandatory surcharge, but the big boys wont ware that.

You see the likes of Coffee club for instance is a franchise business and the individual owners pay a percentage off the top for their licence, so the head franchisee does not care about penalty rates.

Restaurants, due to their much higher cost of goods, are the ones suffering the most and is why so many now (more than 50% in Sydney as an example) are closed on Sundays. How does this create jobs I ask?
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 4 March 2017 10:07:16 AM
Sorry Chloe, can't open your links.

TTBN this is typical labor hypocrisy at its best, the old 'don't let the truth get in the way of a good story' type. Why do they have to do this, it's mediscare all over again. What fools they are, if only they knew their efforts are helping to drive people away from the main steam parties simply on the issue of lies and distrust.

He fact is it is not scrapping of penalty rates as they would have us believe and in fact, the position taken by the FWC is in fact a position that would see workers pay conditions better off than before Julia came to town as before then the Sunday rates were 150%, not the 175% as recommended.

In any case, as usual there is no mention of the employers, the risk takers rights. They are simply expected to bare the full brunt of the society driven 7 day world and that by any means fails the fairness test hands down.

Perhaps a better move would be to bring in a law that all businesses with more than two employees are to close between the hours of 11.30am Saturday and 6am Monday, like it used to be.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 4 March 2017 10:42:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy