The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why atheism should change

Why atheism should change

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Atheists have a record of attacking religion, but have little to offer as an alternative. They have little to quote and little to inspire. I see their attitude of hate of little value, when they could embrace a positive approach with others, rather than spending energy on proving a point, that they simply cannot prove.

From the Quran:

Do what is beautiful. Allah loves those who do what is Beautiful (2:195)

Good and evil deeds are not equal. Repel evil, with what is better; then you know that one who was once your enemy has become your dearest friend. Al Quran 41:34

From the Bible:

13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 2 September 2016 3:14:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Atheists are of little value , don't you just hate that?
Good old Muhammed ( peace be upon his blood-dripping sword) could have loved the enemies he cut off in their prime.
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 3 September 2016 11:53:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The word atheist these days refers to globalists, they are big on criticising religious sects because religion signals stability, tradition and cultural diversity, but they don't say a word against the globalist monoculture.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 3 September 2016 12:51:54 PM
NathanJ,

Atheism isn’t a belief system. Without getting into all the implicit/explicit, weak/strong categories, atheism is essentially just a response to a claim, so of course it has little to quote and inspire. In fact, it has nothing to quote and inspire. It has one tenet: disbelief. Where an atheist goes from there is totally up to them and says nothing about atheism per se. You assume that something needs to replace religion, but I have never heard a good case for this.

<<I see their attitude of hate of little value…>>

Not all atheists have an “attitude of hate” (whatever that is exactly). How could you generalise like that?

<<…they could embrace a positive approach with others, rather than spending energy on proving a point, that they simply cannot prove.>>

Really? All of them? And what point is it exactly that they’re trying to prove? They’re not the ones with the burden of proof, after all. If an atheist wants to disprove a god, then that is their own prerogative and can actually be quite easily, depending on what kind of a god you’re talking about.

Also from the Qur’an:
“Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom.” (2:6-7)

Also from the Bible:
“Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!” (Psalms 137:9)

And for those who think, “But that’s the Old Testament!”, is an argument:
“But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 8:12)

Having something to “quote” (as you put it) isn’t always a good thing. Overall, the Bible and the Qur’an are hideously immoral books. The fact that atheism has nothing to quote is one of its virtues. Atheists get to be freethinkers.

--

Jay of Melbourne,

I have never heard the word ‘atheism’ used in such a way. I think you’re making that up.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 3 September 2016 1:09:24 PM
I actually agree with Jay of Melbourne.

"Global cultural homogenization is sweeping the world. Indian physicist and activist Vandana Shiva calls it "monoculture of the mind." It is dominated by US and western values and lifestyles and driven by a consumer-based, free-market ideology and carried through the massive US entertainment-industrial complex and the global monoculture has infiltrated every corner of the Earth."

https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/content/article/162/27553.html

So “monoculture of the mind” treats diversity as literally a disease and creates structures to remodel a biologically, religious and culturally diverse world on the concept of one privileged class, (say atheists for example), who may and are likely to talk down religion, for example.

Finally many atheists, do have a view of hate (towards religion) as they are constantly trying and aiming to prove religion is a false concept to accept in a lot of cases. One only has to read the many points posted on this page to see that. There is the option however to accept the basic elements of freedom of choice and potentially leading to a better society to live in.
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 3 September 2016 1:45:53 PM
Well, the OED disagrees with both of you, NathanJ.

Atheism:
“disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.” (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/atheism)

<<… many atheists, do have a view of hate (towards religion) …>>

Perhaps, and for good reason too. Although, from my observations, most atheists barely give religious claims a moment’s thought, if ever.

<<… as they are constantly trying and aiming to prove religion is a false concept to accept in a lot of cases.>>

I think you’re confusing atheism with anti-theism. I don’t know of any anti-theists who aim to prove that religion is a false concept, though. The concept of religion exists, that’s just a fact.

<<One only has to read the many points posted on this page to see that.>>

Where?

<<There is the option however to accept the basic elements of freedom of choice and potentially leading to a better society to live in.>>

I don’t think anyone denies others “ the basic elements of freedom of choice” (whatever they are).

Are you feeling alright, NathanJ? You’re not sounding very ‘with it’ at the moment.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 3 September 2016 2:03:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy