The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Organ transplants and medical ethics

Organ transplants and medical ethics

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It appears that organ transplants have become a trend in medical field. Medicine is not like engineering where one can experiment with any idea because it will not affect people's life and health. Organ transplants often cause unwanted side effects besides being only a temporary relief in many cases. Evaluating the procedures by survival rates is not enough to judge the success of the procedures. Quality of life after the procedure should be the criteria for evaluation. It is well known that transplants need lifelong follow up to prevent rejection of the foreign transplant. Living donors also have the propensity of even death after organ harvesting. It is felt that adventuristic doctors are allowed to stifle with health and life ignoring the ethics in medical practice. Often such procedures fetch huge money for the surgeon and hospital. The only transplants that can be done ethically are the corneal transplant and blood transfusion.All others are in my opinion against ethics because they are associated with life threatening complications. These techniques cannot be considered as normal time tested surgical procedures.
Posted by Ezhil, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 1:46:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You have your views on organ transplants Ezhill.
I only hope you or anyone you love don't have to suffer organ failure and have to look death in the face...often slowly and painfully.

Organ transplants give many people their lives back, and if that means taking anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives, well so be it.
The will to live is very strong and many sick people will do almost anything to survive.

I would suggest that you have the choice to refuse organ transplants if you ever need any Ezhill, because there are many others on the long waiting lists in Australia who would have no hesitation, despite the side effects.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 12:14:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I completely agree with Suse on this.

I have observed the difference between the health and well being of a person on dialysis and then having a kidney transplant and the difference is amazing. They then live a normal life. Some have extended their life by 30 or so years. What a bonus.

Pity there are not more organs available for transplant.

If someone can make use of any of my bits when I go, they are welcome to them.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 9:39:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I take a very personal interest in this question, due the fact that I have a serious lung problem. A time may come when the only chance I have left is a new lung. If my lungs begin to fail, it would not be hard to give it go, but it is undoubtedly a last resort. If the only problem was taking anti rejection drugs, that would not even be a consideration.

I suspect the reason some people are against the idea is they fear that their own body parts might be harvested before they dead. In a country like Australia this is not a justified fear, but the same can not be said for some 3rd world countries. There are also a number of people who hold strong religious convictions against the whole idea but that’s their choice.

I don't think there is any ethical problem provide the organs are ethically sourced.

PS I was not a smoker
Posted by warmair, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 10:41:18 AM
Warmair - Well said Sir. my sympathies.

I maintain that if you are so insensitive that you would decide not to donate you body parts to someone whose life depends on them - then you should forfeit the right to decide what happens to your organs.
In other words if your organs are able to save someone else's life then as long as the doctor and the anesthetist decide that you are dead and there is no possibility of your revival then your organs should be used for this purpose, permission or not.
Posted by ponde, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 11:49:08 AM
I plan not to have a funeral but to have my body parts distributed to anyone who can use them after I die.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 12:58:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy