The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > In Defence of Flogging or A case for Corporal Punishment:

In Defence of Flogging or A case for Corporal Punishment:

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
I've long held the view that certain categories of offences deserve not only long periods of imprisonment, but corporal punishment as well. Those who've read any of my mutterings herein, would know that I oppose Capital Punishment for any offence, save for ISIL operatives caught in the act, and only then, executed contemporaneously with that terrorist act !

The class of crimes that I believe deserve judicial flogging, are those that are strictly limited to 'against the person', where violence and/or aggravation are a constituent (or criminal proof), of that crime. Essentially crimes of; (Rape) Sexual Assault involving violence and/or aggravation against women, children and in some instances, men. All of which should attract corporal punishment, together with an appropriately protracted gaol term.

There are several other crimes that should entice similar punishments, however there's enough substance herein, to attract sufficient commentary I would've thought ? Other then I should perhaps attribute (for the purpose of this Topic) a referential construction as to the term; 'flogging' ?

Flogging in my view is that which is currently employed by both, Malaysia and Singapore, and is administered by an individual, with the deployment of a rotan (cane) across the exposed buttocks, with the kidney area and upper thigh areas of the anatomy, heavily shielded. A medical Doctor is always present, and can cease the punishment' immediately, if considered medically appropriate.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 2:33:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting to read your perspective, o sung wu. My only question would be (with the rationales of corrections in mind): what would you hope to be achieved through what you propose, and how do you feel your proposal would achieve it?

Without specifying this, I think it would be hard for any meaningful discussion to ensue.
Posted by AJ Philips, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 4:44:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu

the fools who demanded that children not be smacked are responsible for much of the 'you can't touch me' arrogance of many criminals. The jails are generally are joke in this country and most crims know that. The social engineers have made it far more about the criminal than the victim. Unfortunately the natural family structures have been destroyed by engineers (generally those who have failed miserably in their own lives). We are reaping what we have sown now in society where people in their 80's are bashed by druggies for $20.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 5:14:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu, I have some sympathy for the idea of alternatives to prison sentences for crimes where the intent of the justice system is not to restrain the offender (those who if not locked up are likely to just keep re-offending).

I do have concerns about the ability of government to implement and administer any laws fairly. I've got concerns about how physical punishment could be manipulated for political ends, laws that satisfy the blood lust of some elevate that risk to a point where I wonder what safeguards could be put and kept in place.

Your own post contained a rider that highlighted another part of the problem "and in some instances, men".

It appears to be suggested that the same crime earns a different penalty primarily dependant on the gender of the victim. The law should always be neutral in regard to issues such as that, if there are extenuating circumstances to allow for then they should be on a case by case basis and not on the basis of gender, race or other broad brush assumptions.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 5:32:24 PM
runner,

As usual, you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Prisoners (I say "prisoners" because our society is far more punitive towards, and obsessed with, blue collar crime despite the fact that white collar crime costs us all far more) are actually more likely to have come from homes where they were smacked. Most prisoners come from low socioeconomic households, which are far more likely to choose smacking as a form of punishment due to the lack of patience that often results from the constant financial stress that parents of such households are placed under, and the relative emotional distance that may also result from financial stress.

That's not to say that smacking caused their criminality (that's another line of debate), but your suggestion that criminals, nowadays, come from homes where smacking wasn't a form of discipline is utterly baseless.
Posted by AJ Philips, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 6:17:04 PM
Hi there ROBERT...

I agree with you when in essence it might appear, that only certain classes of males should be included in those cases that might justify corporal punishment. I was referring to violent and/or aggravated instances of sexual assault of males. Generally speaking violence occasioned by males on males wouldn't necessarily warrant corporal punishment, not from my own personal experience. I hasten to add, that I may well be completely demolished by many on this Forum, as a consequence of my somewhat, revolutionary views ? It's a matter of degree, I suppose ?

Further, there's virtually no chance that corporal punishment will EVER receive assent in Australia ! Never ever ! Irrespective of what the political persuasion is, of a government ? Furthermore I honestly believe there's not a politician alive, who would possess the political intrepidity to introduce a private members Bill, even to explore the complex machinations of such a tendentious proposal ? It is for this reason I suspect that this Topic is merely an exercise in unabashed futility ?

Hi there RUNNER...

Your submission apropos gaols being easier on crooks, is in part, quite correct ? From the official perspective, definitely. Inmates enjoy many freedoms and much greater latitude then years past. However, the internal controlling strata within the average NSW maximum security boob, is quite onerous, for those who've never done gaol previously ?

Long Bay is controlled mainly by the criminal Bikie gangs and their cohorts, and not far behind are the Lebanese (Muslim) crime gangs, who are diametrically opposed to the Bikies ! And thirdly there are a few smaller Asian gangs, and the most inconsequential of the lot, are the anglo's who are not aligned, nor protected by any of the other groups. A fundamentally happy mix don't you think ? And it's the poor ol' screws who laughingly believe the run the gaols !
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 2 December 2014 9:01:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy