The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abbott should get a humanitarian award for savings 1000s of lives at sea.

Abbott should get a humanitarian award for savings 1000s of lives at sea.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Shadow Minister, I am afraid you are flogging a dead horse, if you think you can change the position of these labor lovers, because after all, after the six years of gross mismanagement and waste, THEY STILL VOTED FOR THEM, which pretty mush says it all.

The other problem they suffer from is not recognizing that there was also a monsoon season in 07,08,09,2010,'11 and 12, yet, the boats kept coming and the deaths occurred.

Frankly, as cold as it is, these people are ILLEGAL immigrants and, if they die in an attempt to enter our coumtry illegally, then that's the risk they KNOWIMGLY take.
. There are correct channels if one wishes to immigrate and, if one chooses to pay people smuggler thugs, then that's a risk THEY chose to take.

As for immigration, withnour jobs crisis looming, we should immediately suspend all 457 visas and refuse entry to anyone without skills to offer, even then, the skills will only be useful if there are jobs to be had, otherwise we are shooting ourselves in the foot. AGAIN!

As I say, anyone who continues to offer their unconditional support to the labor/green movement will be impossible to reason with.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 31 March 2014 8:56:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My goodness, just listen to you lot, by the sounds of it Abbott seems to have single handedly solved the refugee problem. The killing, rape and torture in Sri Lanka have been brought to an abrupt halt, the Taliban have turned over a new leaf and are right now pounding their guns into plowshares.

The only problem is it is all crap, there are still outrages against civilians in many countries and still thousands fleeing the horrors of conflict. Are we to account for the lives of those who might otherwise have fled but found the door closed because of Abbott's policies so were left to their fate? Or do we find some comfort in thinking well they probably escaped but we sent the problem elsewhere.

And what have we done as a country to appease people like Shadow Minister? This once proud defender of human rights gave a country, accused and condemned by other Commonwealth nations of gross human rights violations, of genocide, of systematic torture and rape, military hardware in the form of naval ships, just so the Shadow Ministers of this world can sleep easy in their beds.

Just to show how deeply we have sold our souls the United Nations Human Rights Council passed a resolution last Thursday to launch an independent investigation into alleged atrocities in Sri Lanka. British PM David Cameron called it a ''victory for the people of Sri Lanka''. Our response? We opposed it. Yes that is right, we opposed an investigation into a genocide.

My god haven't Abbott and Shadow Minister given us so much to be proud of as a nation. Tell you what I think we should give both of them a well deserved humanitarian award. In fact Sir Abbott and Sir Shadow Minister have such a nice ring and in keeping with Abbott's fondness for royal titles. Wait a moment I will call the Queen to check her availability... opps, seems she is otherwise engaged, so to apparently is the PM. Can't imagine why.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 31 March 2014 8:56:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The whole world mourns at the loss of 229 persons lost in the southern ocean and spares no expense in searching for clues. We loose over 2,000 persons at sea in the northern sea and the asylum seeker sympathizers couldn't give a damn, as they supported their venture. Why? Because their political party supported their coming by boats.

Those kept in detention are not kept against their will as they are free to be sent home or another nation; they are only detained while their claim for refugee status is established.
Posted by Josephus, Monday, 31 March 2014 9:09:24 AM
SteeleRedux,

You should then be grateful that there is now one less outrage against civilians in the form of Labor, the greens, and the human traffickers carelessly drowning people at sea.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 31 March 2014 9:40:31 AM
I too congratulate the government for stopping the boats, at least for the 100 days.

I recall the illegals supporters saying that it could not be done and I admit it happened a lot sooner than I expected. I was visualising that it would take much harsher measures to convince the illegals that we were determined to deter them from coming.

It highlights just how stupid Rudd and Gillard were and the total incompetence of their governments.

I will endorse 'whatever it takes' to stop this intrusion by these shonks that take criminal advantage of our goodwill and generosity.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 31 March 2014 1:27:16 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

I have declared I am supporting the nomination of Abbott and your good self for knighthood for your outstanding humanitarian efforts as per the title of this thread.

They are fully deserved in my humble opinion, but you see we need to get it past the committee of the Order of the Garter. To do this will need some planning and some fund raising for air fares to England you and Tony to England. Yes I know there is a perfectly serviceable RAAF jet at the ready but Tony is a little leery after his slap on the wrist and having to max out the credit card repaying some travel allowances.

But first things first. I feel in order to give your application the very best chance, having a local award in the bag would give great credence to your nomination and I think I have found a suitable organisation to deliver it. The NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors (STARTTS).

From their site;

“Every year STARTTS holds the Humanitarian Awards to acknowledge and thank those people who have made an exceptional positive contribution towards refugee issues in NSW. Indivduals and organisations in various fields who are doing outstanding work to support refugees are eligible for the Awards. Over the years, the Humanitarian Awards have honoured community leaders, youth workers, lawyers, journalists, teachers and many more – each them making an incredible contribution to improving the lives of refugees.”
http://www.startts.org.au/news-events/refugee-week/humanitarian-awards/

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 31 March 2014 2:41:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All