The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abbott should get a humanitarian award for savings 1000s of lives at sea.

Abbott should get a humanitarian award for savings 1000s of lives at sea.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All
SR,

I have heard that you have been requested to lead Labor's spin team, and that your first task will be to convince the voters that Thomson was making humanitarian donations to the prostitutes and that his next action is a 3 month fact finding study of prison conditions.

Your increasingly shrill efforts to show that the UN inquiry is needed is actually irrelevant. Abbott is trying to stop people drowning today, not 5 years ago, and a "principled" boycott of the Sri Lankan government will kill people no matter how sanctimonious Labor feels about it.

My point is not that there should be no inquiry, but rather that without the co operation of Sri Lanka, India, Russia, and China, amongst others, the possibility of any meaningful inquiry is zero. The UN report contains "credible allegations" but beyond that contains little to nothing to hold anyone to account.

From your own link I found "The conclusion of the Commission is "that shells had in fact fallen on hospitals causing damage and resulting in casualties. However, the material placed before the Commission points to a somewhat confused picture as to the precise nature of events, from the perspective of time, exact location and direction of fire." This is an excellent example of the lack of detail the UN has on what occurred.

In the time that Labor's department of immigration and body recovery ran the border protection nearly 2000 died. There should be an inquiry in the culpable negligence of Rudd, Juliar and Bowen.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 7 April 2014 1:44:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Shadow Minister,

The enthusiasm with which you embrace the commission's findings are indeed admirable and duly noted. As the prospective mouthpiece for the Sri Lankan government you can look forward to being reimbursed handsomely. However there is some concern that you may be confusing readers with the ownership of your quote. This came directly from the independent, unbiased, unstacked, Sri Lankan government commission. Not the UN. I'm sure you will not make the same mistake again.

These slips are inadvertent, even our most seasoned spokesperson for the humane treatment of refugees is capable of it.
http://youtu.be/P8pnnVwcPUU

You wrote;

“Abbott is trying to stop people drowning today, not 5 years ago”.

Actually his rejection of the Malaysian Solution was only 3 years ago but the point is well made. You obviously feel his actions of not trying to stop people drowning then was to ensure he could assume the reins of power and so stop more drowning now. I see his and your deep humanitarian logic at work. I'm off to buy a new tie for your award ceremony.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 7 April 2014 4:23:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR,

Well I am glad that you have come to accept that Labor were responsible for thousands that died at sea, and that the Malaysian solution was a bust, but you are showing typical left whinger tendencies to try and blame others for your own stuff up. "the dog ate my homework" and "the opposition wouldn't let us strip all the protections from the refugees"

No one bought it and they tossed labor out on its Rs.

The final result is:
Boats kill people, Labor could have stopped them but wouldn't, Abbott had the spine to do so and should be acknowledged for it and the lives saved.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 8 April 2014 5:58:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy