The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rights in Prison?

Rights in Prison?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
I'm sure most people on facebook have seen the posts about how prison inmates get better care than the elderly in nursing homes. I'm sure that most people that have kept up with American current affairs heard about the tent prison in the South.

My topic question is, Why, if people within society choose to break the law, they still receive many of the benefits that come from association in that society? Is it unfair to remove the comforts of life from these criminals? Is there room for the chain gang to be reemployed?
Posted by RandomGuy, Tuesday, 30 July 2013 10:38:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Random Guy
Only yesterday the Queensland Attorney General hinted at tougher sentencing & naming juvenile criminals. Even a TV survey showed 905 to 10% in favour yet that Goose Terry O'Gorman of the civil Freedom criminals got his non-existing gonads in a twist. As long as we have to waste time, money & effort because of such morons defending the criminals then, well, we'll be making social progressive regress.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 30 July 2013 10:13:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Random guy, do you not think many others have considered the 'good ol days ' return of bread and water and general rock bashings of the old jail system?

If those criminals didn't go in there bitter and twisted, they certainly would by the time they come out.

Unfortunately , many prisoners do get parole and leave after finishing their sentences.
So treating them basically well, and trying to prepare them to make their way lawfully into the community, would appear to be the right thing to do.

I don't hear of many ex prisoners wanting to go back into jail, do you?
So I doubt it is as much fun as you think it is.
Sexual and physical assault are daily occurrences in jails, so it doesn't sound good to me.

Loss of freedom can be a very powerful deterrent on it's own.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 12:39:08 AM
I stay away from face book, it has a generation of our young sitting for many hours self promoting while life passes them by.
Some good and much bad, comes via that page.
Suseonline has her views I mine.
We are over run with the cry,s of victims of early released criminals.
And crimes that see short terms in prison but demand more.
So your task to gain any support for much change is a hard one.
But the system may benefit greatly if we include changes in prisoner reforms as one leg of reform in law and order.
I am not advocating bringing back the chain gangs quite the opposite .
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 6:28:27 AM
Loss of freedom can be a very powerful deterrent on it's own.
Dear resident OLO ignoramus.
Simply being confined yet having many modern commodities at one's disposal is not a deterrent as has been proven at the cost of many peoples' lives & losses.
Penalty has to have more psychological long-term effects than simply not being let out for a long time. There are many good people who are confined to staying at home yet they're not afforded gym & other modern amenities/facilities. many victims exist in far worse conditions than their aggressors in so-called jail. Penalty has to involve considerable discomfort & denial of most everyday life facilities to make them think over & over again to regret their actions.
It must make them think about their victims more than about themselves.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 6:48:16 AM
RG,
I agree with you to the extent that prison life is far too easy these days.

Lets face it, one has to commit a very serious crime to be jailed and the jail is to prevent further crimes by that person and is supposed to be a deterrent. It should not be a three star Her Majesty's Motel. The amenities provided today are a joke and they even get to vote in elections and have contact visits.

The emphasis should be on removal from society and all that goes with that.

The early parole is a joke and has been proven so.

If they need the space, I would vote for the death penalty for those that commit heinous crimes. I would have no trouble in giving a needle to some that come to mind.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 9:48:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy