The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > American Gun culture

American Gun culture

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Two more mass shootings and no chance of change.
Is America the only western country that see Gunsbought as easly as a coke.
What is it about this world leader that sees gun ownership as a near must.
Why not in Britain? France? Australia, oh we catch up but at least the guns are not legally owned.
Is it left overs for the movies remaking of western history.
Is it wise, maybe it harks back to the minute men.
We are told it is for defense, if no one had them defense from what?
Invasion, given the nature of friendly fire deaths involving trained Militarily personnel I fear it will not work.
Have we any right to care.
I think yes, for the victims and for the country we say is our best hope for freedom.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 September 2012 4:18:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From my viewpoint it is very hard for a good person to obtain a firearm & apparently quite easy for a deviate to obtain one here in Australia. Just as it is nigh impossible for a genuine immigrant to come here via going through official channels vs someone arriving here illegally.
What we need to do first up is to take a good look at ourselves & what we do to other people that makes them go off the rails. If we want people to have no hang-ups we must stop the useless & discriminatory within authority from getting into the positions from where they direct so much harm. As long as we pussy-foot with low life & persecute the victims we are the ones putting crazy ideas into peoples' heads. You just gotta look at the insane rubbish our media & entertainment industries dish out. It's a miracle we actually have such a low rate of people going off the rails. In the majority of cases the perpetrators have been conditioned by discrimination within our society. We pussy-foot instead of nipping a problem individual in the butt & when something bad happens we are at a loss why they did it. Look at yourself & think about the way you think. You might find you're not as clued up as you think you are. You can't expect a decent society when you have no culture of decency.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 2 September 2012 6:47:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can not see gun owner ship as a measure of freedom.
And I fail to find reason to defend the deaths.
Almost always inocent and unarmed folk butchered in the street, shopping centers or work places, schools too bring high death toll
Republicans seem to be propping up gun culture.
Yet in Australia it was a Liberal/conservative leader who tightened up the laws.
John Howard, currently in America attending the republic convention, and other tasks, very definitely did the right thing.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 2 September 2012 6:50:30 AM
No citizen anywhere needs an assault rifle. As long as they have the mindset that there's a boogey-man around every corner and they have the right to shoot him then nothing will change.

They carry on about their second amendment and the supposed rights they have with it. What they choose to ignore in that amendment is the references to restrictions on ownership and that that right is for a militia. These days 'militia' means 'reserves'. Reserves, being the supplement army.

The argument is really so they get to keep their shiny toys. Nothing more. As long as that carries on many more will die.

I enjoy hunting. Actually, being away in the bush is where I feel most at home, but what I don't need to do that is artillery.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 2 September 2012 7:14:30 AM
they have the mindset that there's a boogey-man around every corner ..
StG,
The problem is they're right about bogey-men. They're in the shape of bureaucrats in authority.
I totally agree that in order to go hunting or target shooting assault rifles are way out of order. just look at it this way. If assault rifles weren't made for sale they wouldn't be available. So, who's fault is it that they are available ?
I recall copping a lot of flak from some Australians when I argued the exact points above. They reckon it was their right to have whatever they want. it is my view that they don't have a right to that mentality for a start.
guns are just like any other device. Many more people get killed on our roads or in planes & boats. People die that's all there's to it. The tragedy is when people die due to somebody else. Look at those mongrels the other day who told the neighbors of a pensioner that she'd died & they're cleaning out her house. They brazenly stole. Now, had anyone shot these mongrels the person with the gun would be branded a murderer. That's the sort of injustice that causes people to lose it. I frankly can't blame them. My work mate has been targetted with break-ins up to 4 times/days in a row yet the little $hits are still walking around even after breaking in & stealing from several other homes. If someone gets sick of this one day & knocks them on the head then they get locked away.
Give us back the right of defending what's ours & you'll see a decline in crime. The present judicial system in Australia is actually fostering crime. Stop the do-gooders from having a say.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 2 September 2012 7:46:30 AM
I've got no issue with self defence. Come in here meaning harm and I'll drop you. I don't care about jail. It'll be worth it saving my, and my family's lives.

The topic is America, though.

The problem isn't exclusively gun control. Making it harder for whack jobs to kill many people is the first step. Ban private ownership of assault rifles. Also, ban the carrying of side arms. Some argue with that theatre shooting if people were armed they could've stopped the killing early. Sure, maybe, but could you imagine a dark theatre full of armed scared people. How do I know if the gunman has associates or not? Which people do I shoot? There would be 3x as many fatalities. Have your home defence, but no one needs a gun in public other than if it's for your job.

The issue is mental health and alienation of the offenders pre-shootings. What's makes someone hate people so much they need to kill them. There's social issues at play here that go WAY deeper than the States can possibly get a hold of. It's too late for them, unless a party steps up and goes through the gun control issue with a scythe.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 2 September 2012 10:25:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy