The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sofa King

Sofa King

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Just wanted to highlight some good news for the week in the fight for 'maintaining standards'. The advertising regulator in the UK has banned Sofa King form using the disgustingly offensive slogan 'Sofa King low'.

It may seem like a trivial play on words, and technically not a breach, but this is the thin edge of the wedge. If we start allowing puns like this so close to the word 'f#ckin', where is the world headed.

3 brave souls objected to this immoral and damaging action to defend the common decency of the world. I hope you'll all join me in celebrating that there are still some fine citizens in this world of moral bankruptcy.

I am so glad to live in a world where 3 brave souls like this can make a difference, bringing to the attention of authorities this flagrant disregard for the human rights of people not to be offended. It must have taken great courage by the regulators to make the stand to take decisive action on such a dangerous slip in standards of civilised society.

http://www.news.com.au/world/sofa-king-ad-banned-in-uk-over-f-bomb-similarity/story-e6frfkyi-1226285582139

On a similar note, I learned today of a new 'starlet' by the name of Yumi. I am heartened by the response to her denigration of a celebrated soldier, and hope she rots in hell. I cant be more balanced than that, and to attempt to would betray the seriousness of such a crime.

Never let it be said that such issues, such weighty issues, are not worthy of all our attention. This is the very fabric of our society and the core of our humanity and civilisation we are currently thrashing out.

Never before has our society spoken with such fervour and with such volume about the topics that weigh so heavily on our minds.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 1 March 2012 5:25:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"....on such a dangerous slip in standards of civilised society."

I was yawning all the way through because I'd be a hypocrite to say I care things like "Sofa King Low" and "FCUK" etc etc. I swear like a wounded soldier so I couldn't care less ... BUT ... what FairyLand compound do you live in to call this society "civilised". Want me to set an alarm to wake you up or should we just let the drugs wear off and wake you naturally?

Wanna know the REAL us? Places like the Congo, Sudan, and these places run by dictators is how we REALLY function. We just don't like admitting it. The difference between them and us is that we lost the stomach for slaughter, but the man with the biggest gun flogs us in different ways. They've turned us on each other to keep them in power.

I don't have the time for idiots on TV who live in some dream world commenting on heroes they couldn't DREAM to be half the person people like Ben Roberts-Smith are.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 1 March 2012 8:11:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
StG,

Are you familiar with Houellebecq's style? I think you'll find he was being satirical - and he's probably of the view that the West's moral outrage on such issues is Sofa King ripe for a send-up.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 1 March 2012 8:27:54 PM
Rightio. Maybe a clue or two might be helpful as well. There's plenty of weirdo's here I believe I'm supposed to take seriously...

...although I don't.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 1 March 2012 8:35:04 PM
I’m cruising around South Australia at the moment. There are these huge billboards all over the place on the highways saying; DON’T DRIVE LIKE A WANK*R.

I tried to put up a link that would show you this billboard, but the actual link has got the word wank*r in it, so the OLO filter won’t let me post it!

I’ll put up this link instead: http://www.mac.sa.gov.au/article.php?id=2218

Apparently the word ‘wank*r’ is perfectly acceptable for the Motor Accident Commission of South Australia to use wherever it wants.

Now, is that morally corrupt or what?? Why have the esteemed authorities deemed it necessary, or acceptable, to put words like this up in front of our kid’s faces in public places, while at the same time telling them that such language is foul, disgusting and will not be tolerated, at least not in public?

Not just our kids. The whole of society.

That's just Sofa King hypocritical !!
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 1 March 2012 10:25:08 PM
Well Ludwig that word is one of the best I can think of to apply to nothings like George what's his name & Yumi. These fools have to desperately try to be funny, & the desperation shows.

I really can't imagine why anyone would watch the fools.

When I was a young bloke, I was a navy fleet air arm pilot. On board every second word was a swear word, but our society had not got to where it is today. Swearing was not common in civil society.

We trained ourselves to turn off the language as we stepped ashore. There was no middle ground however, it had to be off completely, or fully on. We were quite proud of our control, & enjoyed paying our friends the compliment of controlling our language.

It was a considerable disappointment to me when young ladies, who considered themselves rather up market, started to consider it liberating to become first mildly, then quite strongly foul mouthed.

They had robed me of the small compliment I could pay them, but I soon realised they were not worth complimenting, & then ridiculed them by not joining them in their use of language.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 2 March 2012 12:27:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy