The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What Future For Jessica Watson?

What Future For Jessica Watson?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
A couple of years ago I started a thread on this young ladies efforts to sail solo, non stop and unassisted around the world. There was a deal of interest at the time and, as I have kept up to date on her activities, I thought it time to let all on OLO know what is going on.

After a massive welcome home in May 2010 Jessica has been busy writing a book and promoting it locally and internationally. She also has been in demand speaking at boat shows around the world. Jessica was named Young Australian of the Year and has spoken to many schools and functions around the country.

I must say that her reception everywhere has been terrific and her conduct exceptional. She has done us proud, as a down to earth, fair dinkum Aussie wherever she has been.

Her next sailing project is to skipper a yacht in this years Sydney to Hobart race. This boat is aply named 'Another Challenge' with the youngest crew ever. Some details here

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/jess-back-to-school-for-hobart/

The crew is training fulltime in preparation and has already won their class in race from Sydney to Gold Coast and recent line honours in Sydney to Pittwater event.

Jessica and crew have my best wishes to do well in the Sydney-Hobart

I admire this young lady for her skill, courage and determination and am interested to see what the future will be for her.

Will it be in sailing or some other capacity?
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 18 November 2011 10:11:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for the back ground Banjo.
I too wish her well, and think with her drive she will do well in what ever she trys.
Doubt it will be far from the sea for a while.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 18 November 2011 3:34:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo I'd like to see her step back & do something private & personal for a couple of years.

Being a celebrity is all well & good, but it is demanding.

Still I suppose she has a living to make, & without topping up her celebrity status, she won't be able to raise the funds for the next venture.

I wish her well, & hope she is one who thrives best in the public eye.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 18 November 2011 4:52:37 PM
Dear Banjo,

I'm looking forward to this year's Sydney to Hobart boat
race mainly because of Jessica and her team. I'm sure that
they will do well. As for what the future holds for her?
I'm sure that whatever she chooses to do she'll do it
with the same passion and energy that she's applied to
her challenges to date. And I'm sure that no matter what it
is - she'll be a success at what she does. But more importantly,
she'll enjoy what she does. I wish her well.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 18 November 2011 5:15:13 PM
ol men wanting to be talking about young woman
now there is a new thing

not

good luck jessica
which-ever of the cardacians you are
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 19 November 2011 2:22:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I admire and acknowledge the achievements of our local girl, Jessica Watson. To sail around the world non stop and solo then skipper a racing yacht in the classic Sydney-Hobart by age 18 is remarkable.

I note that the dutch girl, Laura Dekker, has now completed her third major ocean crossing. Laura left Darwin, after a stopover, and is now in Durban, South Africa, waiting on suitable weather to go on to Cape Town. Laura has now crossed the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans which is a great achievement.

Her voyage is different to Jessica's, in that she has had stopovers to resupply and do maintenance,etc. and has came through the Panama canal. Laura is doing it her way, and now has the final leg to complete up the west coast of Africa to her starting point. I wish her good luck and fair winds and a fitting welcome back. She is certainly an achiever and, like Jessica, her start was marked by contraversy, because of her age. Interesting to see where life takes her as well.

For Jessica, to skipper a yacht in the Sydney-Hobart would be the dream of most young sailors and also has given the young crew the opportunity to participate. Jess mentioned a while ago that she intends to do a college course next year. What course is not known and some speculate it will be to get higher quals in seafaring, but I suspect it will be to become a youth counselor or youth related career. She is now an accomplished public speaker and has good repore with young people, who respect her. Her sailing will continue part time.

Then I could be wrong as the young can change their mind quickly. Time will tell. Good luck in the Sydney-Hobart.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 20 November 2011 8:39:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy