The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is this fair

Is this fair

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Some make me laugh with thier attempts to stretch the truth.

Take shaggy dogs take on things.

Firstly, there was no such thing as $10 back in 1958, however, if he was in fact on 10 quid, he would be today's equilivent of a CEO.

What most fail to relize is that despite what may or may not be in the qantas rule book, they do have the right to cease business, and they may well do that.

Now if this happens, how are the unions and striking workers going to help those who were not complaining, as they to will have lost thier jobs.

There are those who suggest the CEO is greedy, but greed goes both ways.

Business in this country is changing and all these unionists he'd best get a grip on that fact before more businesses leave our shores.

I wait in suspension to see what this incompitent fool of a government can come up with to resolve this issue.

Finally, find that cheap flight, cheap accommodation or even cheap food stuffs, but at you own peril as running a business here is becoming a case of risks out weighing gains.

But you were warned, you just chose to laugh it off instead, so who,s laughing now, as with yet another I'll informed prediction, I can assure you this is just the beginning, so brace yourselves.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 9:40:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Butcher,

Thank you for your response but my post was not intended to raise any hostile discussion. My apologies if it has raised your ire for any particular reason. I have to say your posts are of some interest.

First year wages were 5 pound a week when I commenced with Qantas.. Take home pay was 4 pounds 17 and sixpence as I recall.

When I finished I was on 21 pounds a week or thereabouts.

Not sure what Hudson Fysh was paid. He didn't tell me and I do not think it was common knowledge anyway.

You actually missed my point as I was not making any comparison to CEOs wages or any other persons salaries or wages then or now.

I was referring to a different mind set as to then and now across the board.

University education was rare back then. To secure an apprenticeship with Qantas was seen as really something and the low wages paid were accepted as your share of the cost of the extensive training. In my particular case I had been raised in an institution from a very early age and to secure this apprenticeship was a golden opportunity to really make a good start in life. Hence I thought I was extremely lucky to get such a start. Being on your own in Sydney at age 15 has the effect of making one grow up rather quickly.

I do have a good memory and even at this time of life am still undertaking tertiary study and am carrying out historical research and writing.

It helps one to keep an open mind and to assess things from all angles in an attempt to keep ones personal bias out of the subject in hand.

Take it easy.

SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 10:15:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh rehctub, spare the nationalism and patriotism please.

This world you support is a 'free trade' world of capitalism first, and everything else second.

If QANTAS is unable to manage itself, it should close down.

Look at the investment they have, and the paltry profits before and after tax for a start.

Better off with the money in an ING cash deposit I'd say.

I am flying with Singapore instead of QANTAS, and the difference in price when we go, in peak season, will be a matter of $100 or so, so it is not price.

I get a better baggage allowance, and a better service all round.

Airlines are a 'service' industry, and they have to compete. QANTAS does not try to compete.

Now, the pilots union chap was on Lateline last night. He was asked why Virgin, where pilots get less than QANTAS, had no trouble from the pilots. His response was that money is not everything and that Virgin engage with their staff, unlike QANTAS, who ignore them as much as possible.

Surely, basic management these days?

Even Henry Ford, a real fascist and capitalist of extreme proportions knew very well that he had to pay well and provide good conditions, which he did for the times.

He even created funded and ran trade schools to ensure he had fit skilled people, something the mining giants might like to revisit before moaning about skill shortages.

Paddy O'Joyce has a lot to learn, if he wants to keep flying our kangaroo on his planes.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 10:18:28 AM
Good points SD.

Life was indeed different.

But, during the Hawke years the bosses and capitalists said they wanted big changes.

No longer did they want permanent employees, casuals was the way to go.

No longer did they want the IR system, the market was the way to go.

No longer did they want tariffs and barriers, the free market was the way to go.

No longer did they want factories, high tech and imports was the way to go.

No longer did they want government businesses, you know, the ones who took in all the apprentices for the lazy private sector to pinch for cheap, and that's how we were gifted such talents as now runs QANTAS.

So, we have all those demands met, and the capitalists and bosses are still upset.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 10:46:03 AM
Yep, rechtub,...I reckon Qantas should employ you....and they could replace the kanga on the tail with a picture of a petite bourgeoisie butcher waggling his finger at us. The new slogan could be, "You Were Warned".

Stop griping will ya....you live in a fortunate country in fortunate times (historically speaking).
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 10:46:14 AM
Blue Cross,

Things have to change, we cannot help that, but it is easy to lose ones way in the process.

I have worked on a contract basis most of my life negotiating my own salary and conditions. Even so I kept my union membership going for many years even though it was never utilised personally in any way. Some sort of loyalty I guess from my early days. I did as a manager speak to them on numerous occasions to find the best way to tackle a problem and always found them helpful.

I guess it depends a lot on how you approach a situation as to how cordial the discussion can be.

Anyway enough from me. Said more than I planned to. Back to work.

Take it easy.

SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 11:03:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy