The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is a fractured Europe good for Israel?

Is a fractured Europe good for Israel?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Yuyutsu wrote:

>>Israel at this time needs a strong and united Europe that will help it to come back to its senses,…>>

I’ll take that as an implied value judgement about Israel.

I never engage in debate about the merits and demerits of Israel.

However I will say that right now I don't think Europe is in a position to give anyone guidance on anything. They're too concerned about their internal problems.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 25 June 2011 11:58:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear stephenlmeyer,

Even if Turkey doesn't join the EU its human rights improvements have been undeniable. Banning the death penalty for instance.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3384667.stm

The EU insistence on a high human rights standard is in my view been a defining part of its legacy thus far and should not be dismissed lightly.

Dear individual,

Perhaps part of the answer to your question might lie in what it would take for Israel to gain membership of the EU. Getting rid of its death penalty would need to occur although it is purely tokenistic now anyway.

Would Israel's human rights record pass the muster?
Posted by csteele, Saturday, 25 June 2011 11:58:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear stevenlmeyer,

You asked a question - I gave you a straightforward answer.

It's nothing to do with merits or demerits of Israel, it's all about caring for Israel and asking how it can be helped.

Israel is currently besieged by its politicians who tragically lead it down the drain. I don't like to see that happening and I believe that Europe could help Israel, alas if only it were more united.

You wrote: "I don't think Europe is in a position to give anyone guidance on anything" and I accept this sad truth, sad indeed for Israel.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 26 June 2011 12:16:27 AM
The best thing for all European nations is to exist the EURO and get their own Govts to create the new money to equal GDP+ inflation debt free.Get rid of the IMF,Bank of International Settlements and World Bank.They don't need them.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 26 June 2011 8:56:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
csteele

I think it very unlikely that Israel would ever be accepted into the EU. Since its founding in 1948 it has existed in what is effectively a perpetual war zone. The EU would not wish to become embroiled in the complications this entails.

On the other hand, thanks to various agreements with the EU, Israel enjoys most of the economic advantages that accrue to members. From the Israeli perspective full membership would bring few additional benefits.

Now here is a better idea.

How about a GRAND BARGAIN under which Israel AND ITS NEIGHBOURS all become members of the EU on condition that they stop fighting?

Of course it will never happen. Anti-Muslim sentiment has effectively put a stop to Turkey's accession ambitions. I doubt the EU elites could persuade their electorates to accept Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, "Palestine" and Jordan on top of Turkey. There'd be a rebellion.

In fact I doubt there will be many more states joining the EU for the foreseeable future though Serbia might just squeeze in.

But Muslim states?

I can't see it for a few decades if ever.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 26 June 2011 9:05:21 AM
Any situation in Europe is good for Israel. They've always taken advantage of all situations and played them to their own advantage.
Europe united will contribute to Israel out of historic guilt, Europe divided will contribute to Israel out of economic need. No matter which way Israel comes out on top. Israel has played its Arab neighbours one against the other for half a century and survived. So it will continue to do so no matter what the world situation.
Posted by Aquarius, Monday, 27 June 2011 10:49:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy