The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christmas Island Riots

Christmas Island Riots

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Been reading the paper over the past few days about Asylum seekers in Christmas island burning down the buildings in the detention center (one report on Sky News allegedly claiming when the loudspeakers went on telling them to disperse they even shouted "F you Australia" (rather interesting viewpoint by people that wanted to sneak into our country in the first place)).

Now we have members of government debating if this kind of behaviour should impair an applicant's prospects of entering Australia and becoming a citizen?

Am I the only one who feels that being mentally and emotionally unstable to the point of starting a violent riot in a detention center would obviously make fair grounds for an automatic deportation, and permanent barring of entry into our country?

Where exactly is the logic in any other course of action?
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 20 March 2011 10:26:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I guess the greens are trying the line that the violence is all the government's fault for not giving everyone permanent residence immediately.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 20 March 2011 1:16:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To be honest Shadow that may well be what excuse they might make- I've been poking around some other forums and that is the reason some people are insisting upon.
Of course, if it were in fact true, would a truly reasonable person's first breaking point before taking physical action necessarily be outright assault, verbal threats and pyromania against whoever they feel are wronging them?
(rhetorical question as far as any sane person should be concerned).

Sadly too many people don't want to actually face this problem.
Quite frankly our migration criteria MUST, under absolutely no exceptions, be based first on character grounds.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 20 March 2011 2:24:57 PM
King Hazza,

The situation in Christmas Island seems to be under control. At the start of the week there were 2500 detainees - now there's much less and the numbers will decrease even further as they're being moved to other detention centres to ease the pressure.

It appears that it was only a small minority that participated in the riots, most didn't, - and the Federal Police numbers have been increased to take care of the problem.

As the Immigration Minister explained, "The Migration Act allows that character is an important consideration in determining whether somebody should be granted a visa." He stated that, "This will be on a case-by-case basis - but character considerations will be taken into account of those on Christmas Island that have organised and perpetuated this activity."

There were to be Immigration Officials at Christmas Island this week giving consideration to the cases there - however the Minister has cancelled this - because of the riots - and the officials will give priority hearings to other centres instead.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 20 March 2011 3:57:24 PM
What we as individuals think does not matter.
The fact is not one rioter should ever get residency in this country.
Immediate plans to deport them should have started that night.
While it may be laid in part at the feet of very slow processing, 18 months instead of 12,few want such here.
A world wide problem, not one Labor invented,and not one a return to Howard's policy will change, but one that must be fixed.
A number of voters, from both sides of politics is ready to vote just on this issue.
The UN a useless group, must address this world wide problem.
And Labor too must re look at it I would like to know if just one rioter gets to stay here and why.
Blackmail is not acceptable.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 20 March 2011 5:10:24 PM
King Hazza,
You make me laugh Hazza!
“ Now we have members of government debating if this kind of behaviour should impair an applicant's prospects of entering Australia and becoming a citizen?”
That’s about as far as it will get. A few comments and no action—especially from this government.

Now it is possible that I missed it – but I do not believe those who blew up their boats, and in the process injured or endanger others -- were ever tried!

And there have been earlier instances of riots , group fights and destruction of facilities, without charges or deportation. So why would the latest influx of asylum seekers, behaving like gang leaders asserting their authority, be treated differently?

And, I would not place a lot of credence in the harsh conditions making them do it excuse. It’s right up there with another line oft heard from successful asylum seekers -- that they had to flee to OZ because they feared living in their old country –but once they gained permanent residence in OZ , felt emboldened enough to return regularly to the old country for a little R & R.
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 20 March 2011 5:43:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy