The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Mines or City work

Mines or City work

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I plan to return to Oz with my partner, I have travelled to Oz over the past few years and quite familiar with most parts of the country.

I understand there is a great need for workers and am wondering if that is true? we are keen to work anywhere and would like to hear opinions on working in the mines? We are split on the idea, as we are more accustomed the city life and have good qualifications.

I have to be realistic and say that while quality of lifestyle is important we want to save for a home etc.

We are both very capable and adaptable and enthusiastic, are degree qualified and have varied work experience.

I would like to get some views on these thoughts particularly if you are from a mining community. Is this worthwhile?
Posted by skipis, Thursday, 1 February 2007 8:23:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It depends very much on which mine you are looking at, what work arrangements you want, and what qualifications you have. Its harder to get into some mines than others (eg more tickets are required to get into coal mines than gold mines). Do you have a problem with working underground, or could you only handle open-cut? What qualifications do you have? They might not be any use in a mining environment. Your current qualifications might get you better pay and conditions for less hours and cheaper living conditions. Eg if you have accounting related qualifications, move to the country (anywhere in the country) - you will have instant employment, on pretty comparable wages to the city, and with a LOT lower living expenses. You can earn a little more in the mines than on a senior accountants income, but generally the cost of living in mining centres is quite a bit higher, so the two can offset. Also, you dont have to work night shift in a professional career!! That said, if you would like a change, I would recommend it. Go to WA or QLD though - its hard to get into NSW mines
Posted by Country Gal, Thursday, 1 February 2007 9:43:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Go through the proper channels. This is not a travel or employment agency.

We have too many foreigners here already. Stay where you are.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 1 February 2007 9:54:18 AM
Northern WA has a desperate shortage of workers. The reason being is that while the money and conditions are good, no one wants to live there...its really not a fun place to live, especially if you're accustomed to city life.

But if you're a fan of 40 degree heat, cyclone shutters and...uh, dirt, then thats the place fo you.
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 1 February 2007 9:55:14 AM
Oh, and ignore Leigh, he has a problem with interacting on an adult level.
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 1 February 2007 9:57:23 AM
Yes, skipis - unfortunately there's a minority of people here like Leigh, but most of them take their medication.

I'd suggest you look outside the cities for work in Australia - that's where the main labour shortages are.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 1 February 2007 10:11:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy