The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Without fear of consequence

Without fear of consequence

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
By and large the vast percentage of the population are constrained in their actions by various controls. Fear of law and loss of liberties and fear of consequence in "the after life".

I'm curious, on this website there's an ACTIVE effort by many to attempt to dismiss the "existence" of "God". Not sure what's the point; soap boxing appears to be the greatest motivator because in reality they aren't gonna make too much of a difference. Attacking people of faith only makes them harden their resolve. Anyway, not the idea I'm trying to get across.

I think it's fairly safe to assume the population of the planet with some degree of faith out numbers those without. I'm sure 95% of us in here would agree that faith was, and is, used as a form of control; especially in the dark ages, where the barbarity of those with personal political agenda of power discovered the most powerful tools of all - (many suggest Islam is still in the dark ages) -, fear. This suggests more about people, than it does about faith.

My question is, considering that societal law and consequences regarding earthly liberties barely keeps things in check, what would happen if these Atheists got their way and NO ONE had a fear of the after life?. We're talking about BILLIONS of people.

Thoughts?.

Please show some restraint and stay on topic please.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 21 February 2010 7:52:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
StG, I don't believe it is a fear of the afterlife as such that controls the actions of the many people of faith in our world.

Most people, of faith or not, are brought up to know right from wrong, otherwise, wouldn't we have a large proportion of crimes being committed by atheists?

Do we even have any stats on this divide between God loving criminals and atheist criminals?

When children are growing up, are all discussions about right and wrong behaviour religion based in God loving homes?

Are children of Atheists known to be unaware of what is right and wrong because their parents didn't believe in a God?
Of course not!

No, I don't believe we would have a worse behavioural problem amongst mankind if we abolished religion.
We would almost certainly have less wars though, and that would be a good thing.
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 21 February 2010 3:19:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Show some control? stay on subject?
Does that say think like you.
I believe in humanity.
Remember we have many Gods.
We made them all, to keep us within standards to live by.
I hesitate to remind you, just last week the head of Christianitys bigest church, the pope called for believers.
In fact his priests in Ireland to change a history of child molestation, by them.
Not all the bad comes from outside the church not all the good from within.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 21 February 2010 3:57:17 PM
StG

I suggest you consider that moral and cooperative behaviour is not the province of humans. Many animal species exhibit compassion, consideration and civility to one another - so far as I know only humans have created religion as a way of enforcing moral behaviour.

Please consider the following:

<<< Morality, as we define it in our book Wild Justice, is a suite of interrelated other-regarding behaviors that cultivate and regulate social interactions. These behaviors, including altruism, tolerance, forgiveness, reciprocity and fairness, are readily evident in the egalitarian way wolves and coyotes play with one another. Canids (animals in the dog family) follow a strict code of conduct when they play, which teaches pups the rules of social engagement that allow their societies to succeed. Play also builds trusting relationships among pack members, which enables divisions of labor, dominance hierarchies and cooperation in hunting, raising young, and defending food and territory. Because this social organization closely resembles that of early humans (as anthropologists and other experts believe it existed), studying canid play may offer a glimpse of the moral code that allowed our ancestral societies to grow and flourish. >>>

Full article at: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-ethical-dog

Also take a look at the following video where buffalo battle lions to save a young calf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

I would also ask you to understand how insulting your question is to people who follow no formal religion, but are otherwise decent, contributing members of the human race.

Thank you
Posted by Severin, Sunday, 21 February 2010 4:14:14 PM
Those who believe humans will only behave well with fear of an afterlife are welcome to, but there is much to argue in a more scientific or biological perspective. Aren't there natural 'incentives' to behave well?

Societies (hence individuals) function better when people collectively establish a sense of harmony, fairness and justice. It is in our collective and individual interests to do so. Human needs are best satisifed as part of a group that looks after 'the whole' both from a social perspective and a survival perspective.

Once you have children you can see the 'natural' good in human nature as well as the selfish, even in little people who have not been in the world for very long.

The fear of the after life does not seem to make religious people any less likely to commit crime. Many around the world kill in the name of their God even if the hatred festers from other causes. Many kill and blow up abortion clinics and the KKK killed innocent African Americans believing they were doing God's work. George Bush claimed it was God that willed him to invade Iraq. We can all think of examples where religious faith can turn into religious mania. On the other hand, faith may spur people to do great things in their communities.

We are all human, the only difference between Atheists and Theists is the burden of proof. What is wrong in not knowing all the answers, why can't we just live our lives well and treat people as you wish to be treated.

One of the most damaging aspects of some religions that worry me is this brainwashing idea that all humans are 'naturally' bad. This causes more damage than not IMO, and we would be better off emphasising the good rather than archaic and counterproductive notions of adamic natures and the like.

It pretty much boils down to a personal decision to dismiss or embrace the idea of a God or other object of worship. As long as a person is good I don't really care how they got there.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 21 February 2010 5:00:31 PM
I wasn't intending to suggest the ONLY reason many people of faith tow the line is because of fear. I guess I was asking whether we had the ability to remove religion - obviously we don't - if that would have a flow on affect for many. For many, religion is hope when nearly all else is deleted. Without hope what have you got?. And of course I'm NOT saying Atheists aren't hopeful because I'm sure someone will take it that way, I'm talking about the religious, not Atheists.

Suzeonline,

I actually doubt there are stats that separate the two. But I stand to be corrected. And again, I'm taking shots at Atheism. I'm kinda hoping to have a reasoned discussion without people going on the defensive.

Less wars?...yeah, maybe. But I'd suggest that religion isn't responsible for wars, the people using it for their own nefarious means are.

Belly,

Again, not having a go at Atheism FFS.

Severin,

Yeah, thanks David Attenborough. Insulting?. Not sure how, but I apologise, that wasn't my intention. I'm talking about religion, not Atheism.

Pelican,

Thanks for a reasoned discussion. I wouldn't suggest Atheists are more responsible for crime than people of faith. everyone ahs taken it that way and that wasn't my intention. Obviously my fault for not explaining myself. It's well known here I'm Christian, so a discussion like this obviously is coming across as a shot. It's not, I'm just whether ridding society of religion would have a negative impact.

Agreed with your last sentence very much.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 21 February 2010 6:10:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy