The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Respect Do We need more?

Respect Do We need more?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Radio national today had a talk on the Victorian governments intention to have a minister for respect.
Has our education system over looked this.
Do we need more respect, for each other and people who are different.
I believe we do, just go shopping any day see chatting Lady's standing in the middle of the way , hear them tell you to have some manners if you say excuse me may I get past.
In every walk of life SOME of us show no respect for anything or any one.
Two days ago a car was broken down, flat tyer very dangerous spot.
Two kids one of each in early teens and their mum watched me lift my boot and struggle over the road large trolly jack in my arms intent on nothing but getting them going.
All men should understand a woman feels unsure there on a remote road unknown bloke, I did my best to put her at ease, said I will have you on the road in a few minutes and got into it.
Puffed and panted a bit not as Young as I kid myself had her moving in just a short time.
No thanks mate nothing,not from her and in truth not expected of the teenagers they think others exist only for such service, some women please I love them all, think good manners are only for men.
In jumping to help some we create monsters, yes we all need respect.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 25 January 2010 4:57:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly I agree that the notion of respect has waned along with other desirable characteristics like generosity, compassion and acceptance of responsibilities as well as acknowledgment of rights.

But do we really need a Minister for Respect? I am not sure how one teaches respect. Respect is learned for the most part from example and from consistency in expecations of standards of behaviour - I am not sure when and why it all went a bit South.

Perhaps it stems from the over-emphasis on the self which probably went a little too far in the 80s in an attempt to instil self-confidence and self-esteem.

Materialism, consumerism, capitalism, the corporatisation of the modern world, who knows. In a few years I am sure all those well paid social researchers will have all the answers. :)
Posted by pelican, Monday, 25 January 2010 6:41:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

The Victorian Premier's announcement of
Australia's first 'Minister for Respect,'
is supposedly just one part of a broader
response (according to the Premier) -
to the 'scourge of racism and
alcohol fuelled violence that's hit Victoria.'

The Premier announced the appointment of
former football player Justin Madden
as the 'Minister For Respect,' who
the Premier says will be an ' additional
voice in the community promoting diversity
and racial tolerance.'

This action seems to have been prompted by
the growing number of attacks on Indian students
over the past year. There have been 100 reported
cases of attacks on Indians - (mostley students) in
2009, as against 17 cases in 2008.

The Premier intends to use educational and law
and order approaches to make Victoria a 'safer
place.'

It does all sound a bit like PC gone slightly
mad. But perhaps it may appease the newspapers
and media in India - who knows?

Will it make Victoria a safer place?

I doubt it.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 25 January 2010 7:39:12 PM
They need a Minister for Silly Walks.

Just thinking though, will the Minister for Respect regard Victoria's legalised discrimination against white males as showing the 'right' sort of respect in their case?

'Respect' could mean different things for different people in Victoria and I can imagine Equal Opportunity Commission CEO Dr Helen Szoke ruling that the said males have 'been the big success story in respect and should have their position changed'. Depending on the target, disrespect might be quite OK and maybe that is what children will learn in Victorian schools.

What does a State that wrote discrimination into law know about respect?
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 25 January 2010 11:31:42 PM
Interesting to view the portfolio of the proposed 'Minister for Respect' in a few years time!
Posted by we are unique, Monday, 25 January 2010 11:40:06 PM
Thanks for the thread Belly. It's a sad and annoying experience to put yourself out like that for people who reciprocate with poor manners. Hope you don't mind if I lay out an assortment of thoughts on the topic:

Minister for Respect - I thought you were joking Foxy! haha!

Very Monty Pythonish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

um

I think the notion of respect has gone down the chute a bit. I don't blame schools; I think some parents could do a better job of demonstrating respectful attitudes from which youngsters could learn. For example Belly, the two young lumps should have been asked by their parent to lend a hand and she could have pitched in too. They would have learned some useful skills and some manners as well. She should also have demonstrated some respect by thanking you.

I reckon there are a few factors that have contributed to a lack of respect between people. One is that we live in a hyper critical society. If our children grow up being criticized and hearing others criticized all the time too, they feel entitled to make harsh judgments as they begin to weigh up the world around them and particularly the adults in it.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/david-beckhams-testicles-grabbed-by-tv-star/story-e6frfmqi-1225822410976

Look at that will ya. Bloody disgraceful and I hope she is being charged for it. Just how women feel when they get grabbed. Interesting to see it happen to a man because most men think (or at least say) that they would LOVE to be somebody's sex object or get a bit of a grope. Well there you go. His face says it all.

cont'd
Posted by Pynchme, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 12:00:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy